• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help needed: '03 F-250 electrical issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I have an '03 F-250 w/ 6.0 diesel engine. The batteries started draining down last summer so I replaced both of them. That worked for a month or two then started happening again. I replaced the alternator and it didn't happen again until this past weekend. I charged it over night and everything was good until tonight. So, that is both batteries and alternator replaced w/in last 8-10 months and still having issues w/ batteries draining. I am not leaving anything on and couldn't find any bare wires the last time I looked. Any ideas?

Does it start rough until it warms up? FICM been changed? How many miles on it?

No, nothing else but batteries/alternator has been replaced. It runs fine once it is cranked. Was idling really weird around Christmas, but once that tank of diesel was gone everything went back to normal. Roughly 80k, but odometer is off because of oversized tires; so possibly closer to 100k?

- - - Updated - - -

ford truck forums might be more help! Somebody here will get around to telling you to shoot it!

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

I am considering just doing that myself :)

- - - Updated - - -

At a full charge how fast do the drain down?

Charged it overnight on Saturday and dead tonight; so, 5 days.

You may jave a short in your wiring harness. The 6.0 has a maze of wires that will often melt and eventually touch each other. Look close to plug ends and wire looms to see if you have rubbing. Also if you bought a alternator from a autoparts pace like autozone, you may need a new one already.

Also do you have a sound sysyem? The main alternator wire is not sufficient for that without upgrafe. I jusr went through this problem with my 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom