Help needed: '03 F-250 electrical issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had issues with other vehicles where the starter would began draining the battery's like that. If it is a repeatable condition you can pull fuses over the course of several days and see which system is affected. Might want to check the power cable that runs between the two battery's and see if it is bare or corroded also.

You may jave a short in your wiring harness. The 6.0 has a maze of wires that will often melt and eventually touch each other. Look close to plug ends and wire looms to see if you have rubbing. Also if you bought a alternator from a autoparts pace like autozone, you may need a new one already.

Also do you have a sound sysyem? The main alternator wire is not sufficient for that without upgrafe. I jusr went through this problem with my 2005

No sound system. It has a DVD system installed when I bought it, but I have already disconnected it; thinking that could have been the problem last summer. I will climb back under the hood tomorrow and trace wires to see if I can find anything. BTW: I am the most not mechanical person in the world, but I think I can look for frayed wires? :)

Pull the fuse to the radio and see what happens.

Can also hook a bolt meter to the batteries and see what it reads, then start pulling fuses and see if the drain stops. If the drain stops, then leave that fuse out....Will take 2 people to do this

Where did you get the alternator from? what kind of batteries are in it? From the sounds of it your issues is intermittent and not very consistent i.e. random never know when vs every two days.
Have you ever noticed the door ajar indicator coming on while driving? The door switches are a common failure and can cause the dome light to come on and stay on after the truck is parked.
They snap (twist in) the door latch similar to a small light bulb socket. Also could be a bad diode in the Alternator causing an intermit. draw or could just be some crappy batteries (happens alot).
Wish you were closer to Canton I could run a few checks. These intermittent electrical issues can be a real pain to track down. You can always try pulling the fuse for the dome lights but be sure to check what else is on that circut.

Can also hook a bolt meter to the batteries and see what it reads, then start pulling fuses and see if the drain stops. If the drain stops, then leave that fuse out....Will take 2 people to do this

We did this last summer. There was no real difference in meter readings throughout the day as the truck sat... I will have to try it again though to see if anything changed.

You need a volt meter that measures mili amps. These trucks have several computers and they will always draw some voltage, also could have a module not going into sleep mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom