• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HK Pistols worth the extra dough?

I'm a big HK fan. The triggers on most models are not very good at all, so if you're a trigger snob they aren't for you. The exception to this is the VP9, which has a very good trigger, but the gun has done pretty poorly in some performance tests. The USPs are well known for extreme durability and the ones with "match" triggers are pretty nice. I think the term "match" trigger is a bit overstated, but it's certainly better than the stock one. The P30, HK45, etc. are all well known to be tanks as well. With the introduction of the VP9, they've also introduced some cheaper models like the P30SK following it. They aren't all outrageously priced. Oh, and I have a USP 9 Expert listed by the way :)

My EDC is a P30 and I love it. I've carried and shot just about every gun that could come up in this discussion and I always come back to the P30. I recently picked up a P320 and I like it a lot too, but not enough to bump the P30 from the top spot.

And **** you to all the asshats that have to chime in with their "just buy a Block" comments on every thread. We get it, you're a fanboy, but your gun isn't as awesome as you think it is.

My EDC is a P30 and I love it. I've carried and shot just about every gun that could come up in this discussion and I always come back to the P30. I recently picked up a P320 and I like it a lot too, but not enough to bump the P30 from the top spot.

And **** you to all the asshats that have to chime in with their "just buy a Block" comments on every thread. We get it, you're a fanboy, but your gun isn't as awesome as you think it is.

CDNN has had the P30S for less than $700 new recently. At that price, you're not paying that much more for the P30, which has been tested to a ridiculous 90k rounds. It's not for everyone, but they're really not crazy expensive.

Only handgun I have ever truly hated was an HK P30L I bought from @STONEWALL . He hated it too. What a piece of crap that thing was. The trigger was one of the worst I have ever felt on a carry gun and don't even get me started on the mag release and glow in the dark sites. It turned me off of HK handguns from that point on. I don't see myself ever owning another unless I just get a screaming (and I mean screaming) deal on one.

I won't tell you to just buy a Glock because after all you already have one. I will tell you that jumping from handgun to handgun is a sure fire way to develop bad habits and never truly become proficient with your gun. I would suggest buying more ammo, range time, and or training if I was just looking to spend some money.

I'm a big HK fan. The triggers on most models are not very good at all, so if you're a trigger snob they aren't for you. The exception to this is the VP9, which has a very good trigger, but the gun has done pretty poorly in some performance tests. The USPs are well known for extreme durability and the ones with "match" triggers are pretty nice. I think the term "match" trigger is a bit overstated, but it's certainly better than the stock one. The P30, HK45, etc. are all well known to be tanks as well. With the introduction of the VP9, they've also introduced some cheaper models like the P30SK following it. They aren't all outrageously priced. Oh, and I have a USP 9 Expert listed by the way :)

I agree about the triggers... That's why I prefer the P30L LEM. Comes with a much improved trigger.

I haven't even come close to running my VP9 through any sort of torture test but I've had 100% reliabilty out of mine.

Since I'm new to semi autos ( only 3yrs ) and tried everything I could possibly put in my hand I finally hit the jack pot with a Smith 5926 ( yeah I know weird ) felt comfortable and actually felt like an extension of my hand.... natural feeling , which I thought was important. Im glad my search is over and can now move to becoming more and more proficient .

HK makes a nice well built weapon for sure.
Myself I have shot quite a few that the HK Kool aid guys almost insisted that I try, they are OK to me.
I have found that the CZ line (metal) fits me and my needs best and so that's where I am.
hard to beat so far 100 % reliability through 3 guns and over 15,000 rounds of ammo.
Also have gotten great performance from the Beretta 92 and PX4 series.
its all about what fits you, whats accurate for you and what you like best.
the beretta 92 is a huge 9mm handgun thus it works perfect, the larger the handgun the less finicky it is i found

the CZ are basic in function and the style beckons back at least 30+years so they lack the "sexy" lines of the newer plastic handguns. I edc a cz97bd and it will eat anything, is accurate and makes recoil feel like nothing, Cz even added night sights in the line-up (they might even make it to 1995 design-wise eventually)

I like the H&K VP9 a lot. It fits my hand very well and the trigger is great. However, I think the CZ line of pistols, especially the p-01 with the decocker are some of the best value guns out there. They feel like they were made to my grip.

All that being said, I tote a Glock 17 gen 4. Great aftermarket support, excellent service, good trigger once modified, and the mags aren't $50 a pop. I like keeping a 33rd mag in the door map pocket of my car and my wife's.

Great firearms, period. Parts and support aren't as exceptional but they're HK's so you don't need parts or support...

Speaking of striker fired only, The VP9, TO ME, has THE best ergornomics of all polymer striker fired pistols. The PPQ has a slightly better trigger. IMO the VP9 is what a polymer pistol should feel like.

I love HK guns. I like the USP more than the P226. I haven't tried the VP9 but the P30 feels amazing in my hand. Are they worth the extra money? Only you can make that decision when you look at your bank account. The USP is a great host. I'm going to be adding a USP 9 to my collection soon.

I have to agree with the above posts. I got the VP9 recently for under 530 dollars brand new including FFL transfer and shipping, and it is by far one of the best handguns ive ever shot. Cant speak for reliability since ive only put 200 rounds through it, but i am horrible at shooting handguns (more of an AR guy) and i managed to get less than .25" groupings of 15 rounds at 30 feet while rapid firing. And my aim is truly horrible with handguns.

The trigger was much better than my 1200 FNX45 tactical. Though trigger comfort and preference is subjective, it has the best trigger out of all my handguns, and i have numerous from sig sauer, FN, S&W, springfield armory, Glock, and more.

Back
Top Bottom