How can I make a CMMG trigger smoother?

funkytechmonkey

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
CMMG triggers have a little bit of a drag to them. I dont want to spend another $200 on an expensive trigger... I just want this one to not have that drag to it. Is there a way for ME, not a gunsmith, to work on this trigger and make it better? Ive always been a little scared to mess with these things thinking I would screw it up somehow.

Yes and no. Triggers are hardened, but only surface hardened. You can eat thru that harden easily and the trigger won't last. But my suggestion is to just polish the contract points with some red jewellers rouge and a dremel. If you try to stone them too much is when you burn thru the harden.

Bill Springfield does a trigger job but his don't always last that long. It's only 35 bucks I think if you send him a trigger group.

Don't be afraid to polish the pins where the hammer and trigger ride. You can chuck the pins up in a drill and spin them and use some copper polish on them, or some never dull cloth.

Speaking as someone that ruined a trigger removing metal, don't cut too deep. It's fine to polish the machine marks out, but I would definitely not recommend cutting away metal.

If the machine marks are parallel with the trigger/hammer engagement direction, it's not going to get too much smoother. A standard AR trigger is going to have a long pull before it breaks. I can feel the one I just put together slip at least three times before it breaks.

Both great responses, A qiuick easy fix like mentioned before is pull the pins out and polish them on the contact points. No need to get crazy with it but that has always been a good move on my AR's

Back
Top Bottom