• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much would it cost to swap the drivetrain from a 7.3L into a V10 excursion? Rust, damn rust

I'd vote for repair. A decent body shop might do the work for less than you expect, especially if you can do a bit of work yourself, (remove trim etc), and rattle can over it rather than a pro paint job.

I welded up the floor and rocker on a rotten 300zx with bits of washing machine, lasted a good couple of years.

Honestly if you sandblast most of it and give it a good coat of cold galvanizing spray every few years it won't get worse. I use the LPS Cold Galvanize on a bunch of outdoor equipment and under an old work truck and its an easy way to prevent rust.

I love those older 7.3 Excursions. I just can't justify the price people want for them. High teens to low 20s seems to be about the norm for one in good shape. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly if you sandblast most of it and give it a good coat of cold galvanizing spray every few years it won't get worse. I use the LPS Cold Galvanize on a bunch of outdoor equipment and under an old work truck and its an easy way to prevent rust.

That is good to hear. I've never had much experience with rust

I love those older 7.3 Excursions. I just can't justify the price people want for them. High teens to low 20s seems to be about the norm for one in good shape. Good luck with yours.

Yeah, the prices are crazy hi. This one was a steel by comparison but also rusty lol

i would love to own a truck like this with your drivetrain in it
i46.photobucket.com_albums_f128_ford4x4_jd70ab_1995_20Ford_20F_150_P1010143.jpg

Post up some pics

How bad is the rust ?
And what state do you live in ?

Doing a gas to diesel swap in some states is impossible to register if you have any kind of emission testing

I did that a few years ago with my Toyota 4Runner and it took months to get the title changed from G to D so I could skip the emission test and buy a liscense plate and drive it legally

I'd find a good body and fabrication shop to cut out the rust and made some rock skids to cover up the hole where they cut out the rust

That's what I did on my bronco

The rocker panels supply some structural rigidity to the body and shouldn't be removed altogether but cutting them out and replacing them with some heavy duty metal is not too hard

You can save some money by removing the interior yourself before you take it to the body shop

Must be pretty common
Excursion rocker panel rust brings up a lot of websites

It seems that the replacement parts are readily available

You just need a competent shop to do the work
Which will be hard to find since insurance collision repairs are major gravy train easy money for body shops

Not many shops want to fool with rust
When they can make tons of easy money fixing crash damage that insurance companies are paying for

Post up some pics

How bad is the rust ?
And what state do you live in ?

Doing a gas to diesel swap in some states is impossible to register if you have any kind of emission testing

I did that a few years ago with my Toyota 4Runner and it took months to get the title changed from G to D so I could skip the emission test and buy a liscense plate and drive it legally

I'd find a good body and fabrication shop to cut out the rust and made some rock skids to cover up the hole where they cut out the rust

That's what I did on my bronco

The rocker panels supply some structural rigidity to the body and shouldn't be removed altogether but cutting them out and replacing them with some heavy duty metal is not too hard

You can save some money by removing the interior yourself before you take it to the body shop

Must be pretty common
Excursion rocker panel rust brings up a lot of websites

It seems that the replacement parts are readily available

You just need a competent shop to do the work
Which will be hard to find since insurance collision repairs are major gravy train easy money for body shops

Not many shops want to fool with rust
When they can make tons of easy money fixing crash damage that insurance companies are paying for

Good tips, yea I've had two local body shops tell me they won't touch rust.

I'll post some pics
I'm in GA
Thanks for the good info

Back
Top Bottom