• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Huge uptick in sketchy new member activity

Just a general sense that they've

a.never bought a gun before
b.certainly never on a forum
c.why would they drive 60-90 minutes for something they could find local for only a few dollars more.

One I googled their username and came up with a mugshot for a petty misdemeanor. Just in general I am going to stick with folks with feedback and history.

always been buyer beware. as with anything the more popular something gets them more ruined it gets

i think we call could do a better job; id like to see moderators and the owner of this website not sweep these scamming bastards under the rug but should highlight publicly every bit of information they can so we know who and where these assholes are trying to get our dollar

i will say by the ODT not responding in a draconian demeanor against tenacious scam artists to me it seems the ODT (and its staff) have resorted to apathy on the issue. i dont agree with this. it is ODT platforms, they should manage it better and do a better job protecting us. the US supreme court found western union responsible for allowing scam artists to use its platform as an easy means of bilking money from idiots (even though western union was not in direct involvement, they benefited by allowing ease of use so to speak)

i dont think ODT and its staff are benefiting from scam artists (which is different from the western union scenario) but the fact that THEY HAVE NOT RELEASED A ****ING STICKY THREAD OR AN FAQ REGARDING SCAM ARTISTS IS QUITE TELLING

id like an answer on this actually. given that all the ODT members are aware of the stupid amount of scammers flooding our boards, what are yall doing about it other than deleting accounts and pretending it never happened??

I was getting lowball offers that seemed in an awful hurry-- from accounts less than a week old, no posts, no history. Newly-minted illegal gun dealers, looking for supply? Anyone in a hurry to buy a used gun concerns me.

I just sent my BIL here a few weeks ago. I did give him a primer on forum etiquette and warned him he'd have a hard time getting responded to if the item was in demand.

robpiat, you are most likely correct. Since I have only sold one gun in the past few months, and that was to a trusted member, I have not experienced what you said in your post.
I believe Chucklenut said it best "always been buyer beware". I have read the rules, and I can't find a specific rule that states the site will protect us from scammers. There should be a way to weed out the scammers, and maybe there is, but I don't see it. And don't mention banning......no one is ever banned from this site. They may get long vacations, but they can come back..eventually.
I don't know the answer, but I don't like the presence of scammers. I hope the site will look in to this, and like I said, maybe they have. Maybe there is an answer to the problem coming.

id like an answer on this actually. given that all the ODT members are aware of the stupid amount of scammers flooding our boards, what are yall doing about it other than deleting accounts and pretending it never happened??
Karen wants to see the manager.....

You think the ODT has to protect you? It's the internet....."buyer beware" and "do your own due dilligience" are the themes of the day

Back
Top Bottom