• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Huge uptick in sketchy new member activity

I don’t think these are scammers so to speak. More just super green and I don’t think a forum is a good way to buy gun #1.

I also can empathize with not wanting to step foot in a small crowded gun shop right now and spend 30 minutes to an hour and they don’t have exactly what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we can do is be smart and if you know someone looking to get their first gun teach then how to shoot it, buy it, and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was getting lowball offers that seemed in an awful hurry-- from accounts less than a week old, no posts, no history. Newly-minted illegal gun dealers, looking for supply? Anyone in a hurry to buy a used gun concerns me.

Just sell to me! No questions asked okay? I will pay more than your listed price...
ATF.jpg

Guys please be safe and cautious. Trust your gut. But with that said when I was a new member I was new to buying guns, didnt have CWL, and was buying pistols at 18-20 years old and I was very forthcoming. When you walk in someone's house, and it's dirty normally they say 'scuse the mess. But if'n they don't you might have a nutter. We should start an ODT formalities and common knowledge/policies thread to help the newbs sort themselves from the hacks. Did a deal with a new guy recently and he sold me a wonky weapon, which he made right. But he could have burned someone else and gotten a bad rep/banned.

Feedback is the key - I’ve found ODT is a excellent tool for doing due diligence

I don’t just check a members feedback rating & call it good

I also look to see what members I’ve dealt with before that have fed back on them

If that’s not available I look at the feedback of those who have left feedback and so on

I’ll look at their classified posting history

I look at their comments and get a gauge for their personality

If I see those that I’ve dealt with in their feedback or those not far removed in quantities and go from there

That being said you can have 100% feedback with two or three deals and if it’s from members I’ve dealt with before and they were good with you - it weighs heavily - I prefer to see a CCP on anyone but at least a drivers license for residence

Thus when we make a deal - I am also interviewing you as a gauge for future transactions with other members I may deal with later

I’ve also found the members I’ve dealt with have no problem when you communicate in a DM asking about someone they may have dealt with in the past

Using this criteria has worked pretty well for me I’d say so far - For instance I have yet to have a no-show

I would hope to see all ODT take this approach where no negatives is not good enough

There is another option besides positive neutral and negative feedback

No feedback

If I don’t leave feedback for you at all It would mean that the deal did not meet the criteria for negative or neutral ratings per ODT but I don’t want my name attached as positive if I thought it was sketchy or what not

If I do not leave feedback for you do not take it personal it just means something was off & I’m not comfortable with making a call where others may use my reference in future dealings with you

You are to a degree vouching for someone when you leave positive feedback

Whatever the 'site' does, or doesn't do, someone won't like it. A no win situation. Buyer / seller beware is my motto. We're all adults, do your due diligence, sounds shady, or too good to be true, it probably is.

I'm just mad no one's offered me twice my asking price, which was 50% mark up on retail to start with.

Back
Top Bottom