• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Huge uptick in sketchy new member activity

I have had a lot of shady offers lately. Some are just inexperienced, but quite a few are shady. I had an offer that was too good to refuse, it seemed kind of shady, but I went with it anyways. He only had 6 positive feedback, but they were from experienced members, so I went with it. Turns out, he was a great new member, and I got an awesome

always been buyer beware. as with anything the more popular something gets them more ruined it gets

i think we call could do a better job; id like to see moderators and the owner of this website not sweep these scamming bastards under the rug but should highlight publicly every bit of information they can so we know who and where these assholes are trying to get our dollar

i will say by the ODT not responding in a draconian demeanor against tenacious scam artists to me it seems the ODT (and its staff) have resorted to apathy on the issue. i dont agree with this. it is ODT platforms, they should manage it better and do a better job protecting us. the US supreme court found western union responsible for allowing scam artists to use its platform as an easy means of bilking money from idiots (even though western union was not in direct involvement, they benefited by allowing ease of use so to speak)

i dont think ODT and its staff are benefiting from scam artists (which is different from the western union scenario) but the fact that THEY HAVE NOT RELEASED A ****ING STICKY THREAD OR AN FAQ REGARDING SCAM ARTISTS IS QUITE TELLING

id like an answer on this actually. given that all the ODT members are aware of the stupid amount of scammers flooding our boards, what are yall doing about it other than deleting accounts and pretending it never happened??
mods to worried about deleting a post that might offend some AW.Aint got time for important issues

IMO - there should be a new member sticky warning about scammers and suggested etiquette when dealing.
Fortunately i have had nothing but good experiences with all whom i have dealt with.
I had one member i sold a book to and it wasnt what he expected. So I let him keep it and I sent him another item to make him happy. I lost on the deal but i would rather make him happy. I dont want ANYONE to ever feel like I am the one that shorted someone or sent them something sketchy or whatever, even if it means i lose.
As far as scammers or people that do not get the way things should be run, they should be told that they shouldn’t offer someone more money to bump another deal. I would tend to ask them would they want to be done that way ?
I know some of them have a ebay or craglist attitude and thats fine. I just feel It just doesn’t belong here.

Feedback is the key - I’ve found ODT is a excellent tool for doing due diligence

I don’t just check a members feedback rating & call it good

I also look to see what members I’ve dealt with before that have fed back on them

If that’s not available I look at the feedback of those who have left feedback and so on

I’ll look at their classified posting history

I look at their comments and get a gauge for their personality

If I see those that I’ve dealt with in their feedback or those not far removed in quantities and go from there

That being said you can have 100% feedback with two or three deals and if it’s from members I’ve dealt with before and they were good with you - it weighs heavily - I prefer to see a CCP on anyone but at least a drivers license for residence

Thus when we make a deal - I am also interviewing you as a gauge for future transactions with other members I may deal with later

I’ve also found the members I’ve dealt with have no problem when you communicate in a DM asking about someone they may have dealt with in the past

Using this criteria has worked pretty well for me I’d say so far - For instance I have yet to have a no-show

I would hope to see all ODT take this approach where no negatives is not good enough

There is another option besides positive neutral and negative feedback

No feedback

If I don’t leave feedback for you at all It would mean that the deal did not meet the criteria for negative or neutral ratings per ODT but I don’t want my name attached as positive if I thought it was sketchy or what not

If I do not leave feedback for you do not take it personal it just means something was off & I’m not comfortable with making a call where others may use my reference in future dealings with you

You are to a degree vouching for someone when you leave positive feedback
Solid post. :thumb:

I have been mentioning this to a few of my past traders. I've noticed a lot lately when there is a new gun listing, a new user with no feedback will offer a price and to meet up that day as if there is some sense of urgency and someone being desperate for a trade. It is almost predictable now. ODT needs to screen out new users. Make them answer 10 or so worthy questions relatable to firearms and firearm laws. Perhaps a waiting period then offer them the ability to trade. It is the same policy many gun groups on FB do nowadays because some anti-2a ****er wants to infiltrate **** up ****/report them knowing FB has no problem with doing so and that will just ruin it for the rest of us.
It is just too easy to register on ODT and buy a gun. We are welcoming shady business and the safety of our members is at risk if we just let anyone get in here.

I posted a ISO post for a sp5 or something like that. I had a new user with no feedback immediately message me asking me to call a guy in a different state because he had one for sale.
At first, I didn't think anything of it. That is how I acquired my FDE SCAR a few years back. Someone reached out to me and told me to call an FFL that had one. So I almost DID call the next day, except the account was then deleted and I am pretty sure the message disappeared.

I have been mentioning this to a few of my past traders. I've noticed a lot lately when there is a new gun listing, a new user with no feedback will offer a price and to meet up that day as if there is some sense of urgency and someone being desperate for a trade. It is almost predictable now. ODT needs to screen out new users. Make them answer 10 or so worthy questions relatable to firearms and firearm laws. Perhaps a waiting period then offer them the ability to trade. It is the same policy many gun groups on FB do nowadays because some anti-2a ****er wants to infiltrate **** up ****/report them knowing FB has no problem with doing so and that will just ruin it for the rest of us.
It is just too easy to register on ODT and buy a gun. We are welcoming shady business and the safety of our members is at risk if we just let anyone get in here.

I posted a ISO post for a sp5 or something like that. I had a new user with no feedback immediately message me asking me to call a guy in a different state because he had one for sale.
At first, I didn't think anything of it. That is how I acquired my FDE SCAR a few years back. Someone reached out to me and told me to call an FFL that had one. So I almost DID call the next day, except the account was then deleted and I am pretty sure the message disappeared.
That scam has been going on for about 6 mos....lol. There are a couple of guys that got taken on that.

Gunbroker is even worse. I sold a TAC-13 on there for $1500 in this panic, all newbies bidding on it. First one to win it just flat out refused the terms, got threatening, and got himself kicked off the site, second one also a newbie, completed the deal after a lot of hand-holding.

Gunbroker is even worse. I sold a TAC-13 on there for $1500 in this panic, all newbies bidding on it. First one to win it just flat out refused the terms, got threatening, and got himself kicked off the site, second one also a newbie, completed the deal after a lot of hand-holding.

Carpet bagger! You're the reason we can't make real trades because of greed. Hope that $1500 literally burns a hole in your pocket!!!!

Back
Top Bottom