• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting rules changes coming....

dont want to kill 12 deer? easy solution..... DONT! no-one is making you kill any more deer than you want to.

let em lower the limits, it doesnt matter. i hunt, and my son hunts. my wife has been wanting to go too, guess ill buy her a rifle too this year. with the 3 of us, we can still get enough meat to hold us till summer. go to an 8 deer limit, i dont care. ill still tag out by the end of of bow season, then ill be the knife guy for my wife and son the rest of the season.
Has anyone said you 'have to' shoot 12? :rolleyes: I realize a few households actually use 12 deer. I have zero problem with that. As you have pointed out with multiple hunters in a house, you can legally take all anyone would ever need. I also realize some idiots shoot 12 (or more) and donate them to food banks because they 'enjoy killing' or they view the limit as some sort of competition to be reached. Just like the guy who pops off a handful shots at dusk at some skylined deer and then when they don't do a double backflip he shrugs his shoulders and says "guess I missed" and doesn't even search. Lowering the limit would help bring the population back to higher numbers but I also realize some people don't want that either. Who is to say what the 'right' number is anyway? When Georgia had about a 1m in her herd hunting sure was much more eventful. Now, at about 650k or so, it's a markedly different experience. Can't imagine the new hunters are enjoying themselves as much.
Now having said all that.... I realize Alabma's herd wasn't decimated when they had a 'one deer per day" limit. The 'doe days' I find much more aggravating and illogical than the limit. I guess a doe shot on a doe day is less dead than if she had been shot during an all either sex season. :rolleyes:

With the way you get your license on-line and print out the harvest record (or ten copies), there is basically no limit to the number of deer you can take. Doe or Buck - some people just fill in the harvest date and then grab another copy for the next trip.

Not me - I only get to go once a year due to La Vida Loca.

Shortening the doe days and not the limit makes sense to balance out the population across the state. Areas with low doe population will have less days to hunt them and likely less taken. While the hunters hunting areas that have a high doe populations will still be able to take their limit if they choose. If they drop just the limit of each hunter then the areas with many does might not have enough hunters to effectively control the population.

Shortening the doe days and not the limit makes sense to balance out the population across the state. Areas with low doe population will have less days to hunt them and likely less taken. While the hunters hunting areas that have a high doe populations will still be able to take their limit if they choose. If they drop just the limit of each hunter then the areas with many does might not have enough hunters to effectively control the population.
Yeah, that's the 'theory'. I contend it doesn't work like that, at all, except in very VERY rare circumstances, if at all.

I have effectively eradicated the coyote population on about 2600 acres. It was a fair amount of work, but it can be done. Doesn't mean they won't come back, but I'll be after them if they do. Haven't gotten one on game trail camera, and we have almost 30 cameras, in almost a year. Used to get a hundred pictures a week. Our deer population will probably take another 2-3 years to rebound to 2007-2008 numbers though.

I have effectively eradicated the coyote population on about 2600 acres. It was a fair amount of work, but it can be done. Doesn't mean they won't come back, but I'll be after them if they do. Haven't gotten one on game trail camera, and we have almost 30 cameras, in almost a year. Used to get a hundred pictures a week. Our deer population will probably take another 2-3 years to rebound to 2007-2008 numbers though.
Well done! I assume this was via extensive trapping?

- - - Updated - - -

...hurting turkeys too
Don't let any armadillos walk....

Back
Top Bottom