• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting Tree Rats

Using a rimfire now is a bit part of the fun. With the leafs and all it makes it quite challenging, or fustrating, whichever ya choose, glass 1/2 empty - 1/2 full kinda thing.

Nick T

What I really like about using the 17HMR is the long range fun in late season. Find a hardwood ridge that overlooks another one about 100 yards away. They are mostly feeding on the ground by then and it's the next best thing to varmint hunting out west. Killing a squirrel at 100 plus yards with a 17 is just as hard as killing a prairie dog at 300 with a 22-250. The dogs stay still, the squirrels don't. You've got to get on them and make a quick shot when they stop for their typical 3 seconds at a time.

What I really like about using the 17HMR is the long range fun in late season. Find a hardwood ridge that overlooks another one about 100 yards away. They are mostly feeding on the ground by then and it's the next best thing to varmint hunting out west. Killing a squirrel at 100 plus yards with a 17 is just as hard as killing a prairie dog at 300 with a 22-250. The dogs stay still, the squirrels don't. You've got to get on them and make a quick shot when they stop for their typical 3 seconds at a time.
i too have noticed the dart, pause, dart, pause motion of the furry little bastards

why do they do that, its pretty weird lol

Back
Top Bottom