• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting Tree Rats

Can't speak much to recipes, but from talking to old timers and personal experimentation I'm a STRONG believer that the only way to make them edible is by slowwww cooking. Very awesome old black dude up the road I know cooks them literally overnight. I like using a slow cooker for around 6 hours, they're literally falling off the bones and remind me an awful lot of dark chicken meat.

Last edited:
I boil them for a few hours then pull all the meat off the bones and throw in some dumplings and seasonings. If you didn't know better you would think you are eating chicken!

Either one will work, but the past few years I have limited myself to head shots only. Kind of the same thing as with a deer I just hate guts getting all over the meat!

Man spend $35-40 on a sporter takeoff barrel and change out the barrel on your 10/22. Its a very simple v block with 2 allan head screws that hold it on and it will take about 10 minutes.
So simple a caveman can do it.

Aint really anything that heavy about most HB 10/22s anyways.

According to an "old timmer" I recently met, you need to "bark" em. Now, lets see who knows what that is/means. I had never heard of it until a few weeks ago and I plan on trying it soon.

Shoot the tree very, very close to the squirrel so the bark flies off and kills them. Done it on accident once or twice, never on purpose

Shoot the tree very, very close to the squirrel so the bark flies off and kills them. Done it on accident once or twice, never on purpose

Bark 'em, hit the tree right under there chin and knock the wind out of 'em.

Yes and yes, I think. The guy basically said you shot the tree under their chest and the percussion kills em. I'd make sure they were dead before I grabbed it.

Back
Top Bottom