• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I got a reply from Senator Saxby Chambliss today. Figured I'd share.

dustind3366

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I was reading some of the post here and found some links where we could sign a petition against the gun ban and also had some links to were you could type a message and it would be sent to the right people. Here's what I received back today.

"Dear Mr. Dingivan :
Thank you for contacting me regarding the United Nations Small Arms Treaty. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

On December 6, 2006, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 89, which was developed as a new international treaty for the global trade in conventional arms. The resolution, "towards an arms trade treaty; establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms," was adopted without the support of the United States under the Bush Administration; however, the Obama Administration reversed this decision, and announced that the United States would support negotiations on the condition they were, "under the rule of consensus decision-making needed to ensure that all countries can be held to standards that will actually improve the global situation."

On July 27, 2012, United Nations member states announced that they had failed to reach an agreement on the treaty.

In response to this threat to Second Amendment rights, S. 2205, of which I was a cosponsor, was introduced on March 19, 2012, and referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. If enacted, S. 2205 would have prohibited the Administration from using the "voice, vote, and influence" of the United States during negotiations that could restrict the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens by prohibiting funds from being obligated or expended. Because the 112 th Congress concluded at the end of last year, this legislation will now have to be introduced.

Furthermore, on July 26, I joined 50 of my Senate colleagues in writing a letter to the President explicitly stating that I would vote against ratification. Should S. 2205 or other legislation concerning the UN Small Arms Treaty come before the full Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance."

Back
Top Bottom