• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I typed all of this out then the thread closed before I hit enter. Just wanted to share.

My wife and i had this portrait done at sears last night...

images_memes_com_meme_108355_.jpg

I take it you were in a debate over bow hunting.

I've taken a slew of deer with a bow over the years. I enjoy it and will always participate. I don't care who does or doesn't, or why.

I am always amused by the "real" hunters who like to preach about bow hunting being the only way to hunt. Funny how none of these same guys seem to ever use a recurve or long bow. Or a stone arrowhead they carved themselves. Or wooden arrows.

By the time I was 25 I had taken more deer with a bow than most guys will take in a lifetime. You know what that means, right? Exactly. Not a damn thing.

So called "primitive" weapons are not primitive. Not even close, for 99.99999% of hunters. If a muzzleloader is primitve, so is a shotgun. Both are more primitive than a compound bow by centuries.

I took up bow hunting at a very early age because it gave me one extra month of hunting. I don't have time to do as much bow hunting these days and save my vacation for rifle season. I've always enjoyed both and always will. I don't care how anyone hunts deer. That's their business.

If Bypass can't hit water when he falls out of a boat and decides bowhunting isn't his cup of tea, that's his business.

Happy hunting.

I've never bow hunted and said I never would because the number of seemingly endless "I shot one but never found it" posts I used to read the first week of bow season left me with zero desire to participate. However, I don't care if anyone else does and have gladly invited people to hunt my property that bow hunt. That should say enough about my projection to others on the topic. Further, for the first time I'm considering taking a friend up on using his xbow (to get in the woods earlier and ideally get some venison in the freezer) but at the rate it's going, I won't be able to get out until the ML opener anyway and at that point, I'm using the most lethal and accurate means at my disposal.
Some people want to make hunting 'challenging'. I get that. Some are exclusively bow hunters and even look down on gun hunters. For me when part of the challenge becomes increasing the risk of a humane kill.... no thanks, that I'm all about eliminating. But if you are proficient and it flips your switch, get after it. I've heard some say "But I like to hunt up close." I smile at that, as doesn't it really translate to "I can't control myself with my rifle to only take a shot at a distance I desire."? ;) You like shooting inside 40 yards only? Great. I agree, the adrenaline gets pumping extra when it's up close. I've occasionally climbed particular stands where I know the shot would only be within 20 yards with a model 29.
But here's the thing about human nature... people like to slide the glasses down their nose and chastise others (and I'm not talking about the OP).
You fish? Well I hope it's only fly fish, and I hope you tie your own ties and I hope it's barbless and of course catch and release goes without saying.
You muzzle loader hunt? Well I hope it's traditional, powder horn in tow with leads balls you poured yourself smelting over an open fire.
You archery hunt? Well I hope it's traditional only with a handmade bow, sinew, hand turned shafts and you personally knapped the heads.
You hunt? Well, I hope it's only .....
Hopefully the point is made.
To ALL hunters I would simply ask that you become as expert in your chosen method as possible and always strive first and foremost to make a humane kill on any game you decide to take. Yes God will make more, but that should never relieve your responsibility as a steward to animals we pursue and the environment in which we pursue them.
Hunting, huntable numbers of many critters and countless acres of huntable green space, exist today ONLY because of hunters. Whether you believe it or not, we hunt only at the whim of non-hunters, particularly those that recognize the validity of the previous sentence. We should do everything in our power to insure that for future generations that legacy is preserved and strengthened.

I take it you were in a debate over bow hunting.

I've taken a slew of deer with a bow over the years. I enjoy it and will always participate. I don't care who does or doesn't, or why.

I am always amused by the "real" hunters who like to preach about bow hunting being the only way to hunt. Funny how none of these same guys seem to ever use a recurve or long bow. Or a stone arrowhead they carved themselves. Or wooden arrows.

By the time I was 25 I had taken more deer with a bow than most guys will take in a lifetime. You know what that means, right? Exactly. Not a damn thing.

So called "primitive" weapons are not primitive. Not even close, for 99.99999% of hunters. If a muzzleloader is primitve, so is a shotgun. Both are more primitive than a compound bow by centuries.

I took up bow hunting at a very early age because it gave me one extra month of hunting. I don't have time to do as much bow hunting these days and save my vacation for rifle season. I've always enjoyed both and always will. I don't care how anyone hunts deer. That's their business.

If Bypass can't hit water when he falls out of a boat and decides bowhunting isn't his cup of tea, that's his business.

Happy hunting.

That's hilarious!!!!! Laughing hard at that one. I almost want to change my sig line now.

Reactions: MRH
I've never bow hunted and said I never would because the number of seemingly endless "I shot one but never found it" posts I used to read the first week of bow season left me with zero desire to participate. However, I don't care if anyone else does and have gladly invited people to hunt my property that bow hunt. That should say enough about my projection to others on the topic. Further, for the first time I'm considering taking a friend up on using his xbow (to get in the woods earlier and ideally get some venison in the freezer) but at the rate it's going, I won't be able to get out until the ML opener anyway and at that point, I'm using the most lethal and accurate means at my disposal.
Some people want to make hunting 'challenging'. I get that. Some are exclusively bow hunters and even look down on gun hunters. For me when part of the challenge becomes increasing the risk of a humane kill.... no thanks, that I'm all about eliminating. But if you are proficient and it flips your switch, get after it. I've heard some say "But I like to hunt up close." I smile at that, as doesn't it really translate to "I can't control myself with my rifle to only take a shot at a distance I desire."? ;) You like shooting inside 40 yards only? Great. I agree, the adrenaline gets pumping extra when it's up close. I've occasionally climbed particular stands where I know the shot would only be within 20 yards with a model 29.
But here's the thing about human nature... people like to slide the glasses down their nose and chastise others (and I'm not talking about the OP).
You fish? Well I hope it's only fly fish, and I hope you tie your own ties and I hope it's barbless and of course catch and release goes without saying.
You muzzle loader hunt? Well I hope it's traditional, powder horn in tow with leads balls you poured yourself smelting over an open fire.
You archery hunt? Well I hope it's traditional only with a handmade bow, sinew, hand turned shafts and you personally knapped the heads.
You hunt? Well, I hope it's only .....
Hopefully the point is made.
To ALL hunters I would simply ask that you become as expert in your chosen method as possible and always strive first and foremost to make a humane kill on any game you decide to take. Yes God will make more, but that should never relieve your responsibility as a steward to animals we pursue and the environment in which we pursue them.
Hunting, huntable numbers of many critters and countless acres of huntable green space, exist today ONLY because of hunters. Whether you believe it or not, we hunt only at the whim of non-hunters, particularly those that recognize the validity of the previous sentence. We should do everything in our power to insure that for future generations that legacy is preserved and strengthened.
Well said.

Yep how you hold a bow is key to consistent shooting. Get a strap (so you don't drop the bow) and open your holding hand and let the bow do its thing.

I shot 3D back in the day, late 80s till around mid 90s. I tried to switch over to the carbon arrows but did so much better with the aluminum ones. I won a few tourney's here in their but mainly went for the fellowship. The bargain barn put on some good tourneys (back when it was a bargain to show their) I do miss those ol'days!

I shot 3D back in the day, late 80s till around mid 90s. I tried to switch over to the carbon arrows but did so much better with the aluminum ones. I won a few tourney's here in their but mainly went for the fellowship. The bargain barn put on some good tourneys (back when it was a bargain to show their) I do miss those ol'days!
We probably have met at some point then. Yeah aluminum arrows seem to give a smoother flight off the rest. The old knocks on carbon were larger than the shafts if I remember right which impacted the rest and screwed up flight.

Back
Top Bottom