• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If this was a real gun would it be legal?

That's a state ruling for California in regards to what the state determines is a SBR, not federal, federally it is regulated as the story states, but IMHO as an AOW. F it, I'll call BATFE today to check the status of some of my pending forms and ask the inspector straight up.

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives considers “a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length,” to be regulated under the NFA.

California law on SBRs has the same 26-inch stipulation."

From the article, though it was poorly or cleverly worded by the author.

28 USC 5835 (a)
(a)Firearm
The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

(g)Antique firearm
The term “antique firearm” means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(h)Unserviceable firearm
The term “unserviceable firearm” means a firearm which is incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition.

(i)Make
The term “make”, and the various derivatives of such word, shall include manufacturing (other than by one qualified to engage in such business under this chapter), putting together, altering, any combination of these, or otherwise producing a firearm.

(j)Transfer
The term “transfer” and the various derivatives of such word, shall include selling, assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of.

(k)Dealer
The term “dealer” means any person, not a manufacturer or importer, engaged in the business of selling, renting, leasing, or loaning firearms and shall include pawnbrokers who accept firearms as collateral for loans.

(l)Importer
The term “importer” means any person who is engaged in the business of importing or bringing firearms into the United States.

(m)Manufacturer
The term “manufacturer” means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms.
I appreciate all the information but I'm just looking for an answer I gave you the parameters of my question. Am I good to go?

Thank you you guys lost me there I'll show some pictures after I finish the butt. I'm assuming I cannot put a forward grip on it per the messages above. However I can put a hand stop on it correct
You're good with a forward grip or stop or AFG since you're still within the scope of being a rifle (over 26" OAL and bbl greater than 16") if you dropped that barrel length or the OAL we'd be in a new ruling, which is what me, NWgunner and hydroauto are discussing. We just hi jacked your thread!

You're good with a forward grip or stop or AFG since you're still within the scope of being a rifle (over 26" OAL and bbl greater than 16") if you dropped that barrel length or the OAL we'd be in a new ruling, which is what me, NWgunner and hydroauto are discussing. We just hi jacked your thread!
So the forward grip add DOES NOT make this a problem? I am taking it to the range when I am done and really don't want to call you from the Fed pokey...

Back
Top Bottom