• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you were young, single and offered a place on this, would you take it?

Sorry to be the one to crush your dreams of interstellar "hanky-panky":

Alpha Centauri is 4.4 light-years away, or more than 25 trillion miles. The fastest spacecraft so far launched into space, the NASA-Germany Helios probes, traveled at 155,000 miles per hour. At that speed, it would take the probes around 18,000 years to reach the nearest star. Speeds would need to be somewhere around 28 million miles per hour to be able to make the trip in 100 years.
i got time....

I see absolutely no way that people wouldn’t go completely insane under those conditions. ‘Course I think you’d have to start out that way to commit future generations of family to that.
Trapped for life with the same people in a metal cage with no way out except suicide. (10 airlocks, no waiting, press and go)
But, not to worry, that thing would have to be built in orbit, probably take 100 years to accomplish that alone.

I probably wouldn't take part in the project but after some of the stuff I read in the late 70's early 80's si-fi books like wireless communication(ansible), little things in your ear for communication (earbuds) Some of the stuff in "Enders Game" we have today and I'm certain the next 50 years tech will leap exponentially

A generational voyage, eh?

In this day and age I would expect a computer algorithm programmed to maximize diversity equity and inclusion
to pair you off with something like this and demand that you hook up and produce offspring whether you want to or not.

BDF628B4-9A3C-4752-8FA5-2FF37507D925.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom