• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm about to cave, I need help!

Shutter Monkey

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I always give my buddy crap about his "cheater bow", but this year more than any other I've seen and let a bunch of animals walk that if they were 10 yards closer I'd have taken a shot at with my compound bow.

I'm comfortable with a 30-35 yardish bow shot but I know crossbows will reach out well beyond that distance. So I'm putting the call out to crossbow(ers), what is your experience with them, what do I need to buy and what is a realistic range expectation?

Thx in advance.

I have better range with my compound than my cross bow, with practice I can hit an apple at 70 yards . I never got that consistency with my crossbow

Can you please post a video of that???? I’d love to see it. Not saying you are lying, just saying I don’t believe you. Lol

I am way more accurate with my crossbow than I am with my compound bow. I have significantly higher confidence in the crossbow, distance and accuracy wise.

I've got an old TenPoint crossbow. This is the third season I've hunted with it. Killed 2 with it last year and its deadly. Neither deer ran over 10 yards. Deadly accurate and repeatable up to 40 and pretty accurate at 50. My scope only has graduations for 10-40yrds, so I'm having to hold over and guess @ 50 and don't want to chance missing or wounding a deer so I have never tried shooting it past 50yrds and try to only shoot deer 40 and closer. I had never hunted with a bow before getting the crossbow, so I can not make a comparison between the two but can tell you I love shooting and hunting with my crossbow. Will prob look to upgrade to a newer one in a year or two.

If your max range with a compound is 35 yards, you need to spend more time practicing. With modern carbon arrows, compounds can be very accurate and reach well beyond 35 yards.

I tried a cross bow and much prefer a compound. To me, a recurve bow shoots as well as a crossbow.

I've got an old TenPoint crossbow. This is the third season I've hunted with it. Killed 2 with it last year and its deadly. Neither deer ran over 10 yards. Deadly accurate and repeatable up to 40 and pretty accurate at 50. My scope only has graduations for 10-40yrds, so I'm having to hold over and guess @ 50 and don't want to chance missing or wounding a deer so I have never tried shooting it past 50yrds and try to only shoot deer 40 and closer. I had never hunted with a bow before getting the crossbow, so I can not make a comparison between the two but can tell you I love shooting and hunting with my crossbow. Will prob look to upgrade to a newer one in a year or two.
The point where the heavy duplex starts on my Excalibur Vari-Zone scope is the 50 yard point of aim.

Back
Top Bottom