• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Im pretty sure im about to start an ODT fire lol...

just a gimmick. look at 7.62 x 25. if it was modernized.....slightly heavier bullet hits harder. 1700 fps/495 ft. lbs. also penetrates armour. just never caught on.
So because it doesnt catch on the argument in regard to self defense effectiveness is invalid in its entirety?

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons. There are pros and cons to every platform. Some can't get into the 5.7 because of the cons. It's not a caliber that is for everyone
Fair enough. I just wanted as many opinions as I could get here as well as to know if I was missing something major.

The reason the 5.7 isn't taken as a serious caliber for defensive use is because it sucks when you actually shoot people. There have been a few agencies to use the 5.7 in either pistol or SMG format, but have quickly moved away. I believe Doraville PD was one such agency that once they had a few officer involved shootings, realized that the round was ineffective and went back to more common calibers. I also know the US Secret Service tried, but has since moved away from the P90s in favor of the older 9mm subguns or .223 carbines.

Let's face it, despite the fanboys attempts to mainstream the caliber, it is still a 40 grain pill going moderately faster than a .357 Sig. While they're fun to plink with, I wouldn't trust it as a main defensive caliber... unless there was a great squirrel uprising.

Not capable of killing effectively? I recall this.........................:pop2:
"In November 2009, the Five-seven again became subject to intense controversy in the United States, following the Fort Hood shooting at Fort Hood military base, in Texas.[34][51][59] A U.S. Army psychiatrist, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, opened fire on fellow soldiers with a Five-seven pistol, killing 13 and wounding 29 in the worst shooting ever to take place on an American military base.[34][51][59] Shortly after the shooting, FNH USA responded with a fact sheet dismissing allegations about the nature of the pistol, stating that it is only offered to civilians with sporting ammunition.[39] Later in the month, a number of gun control organizations such as the Brady Campaign wrote a collaborative letter to U.S. President Barack Obama, citing the weapon's reported use by the Fort Hood shooter and Mexican drug cartels, and calling on him to ban importation of the Five-seven pistol and 5.7×28mm ammunition."

Back
Top Bottom