• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

I have a Browning 338 win mag and if you're hunting long distance big game in AK it would certainly be my first choice.
If you're looking for more of a protection rifle that's fast handling and deadly on big game a 45-70 lever is your ticket.
I'd still carry a potent big bore handgun regardless though humping around the woods of AK.

300 WBY Mag is what I used on Rocky Mountain Elk growing up. I suppose it would work fine on moose and caribou as well.

Shoot the largest, fastest bullet you can...accurately. A 50 BMG is one of the largest round a civilian can legally shoot but if it kicks so much that you flinch and get 300 inches of penetration at 1,000 yards (pulled that number out of my a$$)...into the hill above the game animal because you flinched then what good did that do you? It's true there is no "replacement for displacement"but only if you can keep your butt in the seat. Personally, I would go with the tried and true 30-06. No it's not the sexiest round out there but it has survived the test of time, could put down humanely any game animal in North America from a distance as far as most of us can shoot at accurately in the field, there are more rifles chambered in it to suit your exact needs so you can easily pick the right rifle that fits any budget AND most importantly, unlike many of the more glamorous cartridges out there, you would have less of an issue finding the right ammo in any gun shop in the USA. What if you get there and your ammo gets separated or damaged and you have to leg it to replace it? Do you really want to be in some backwoods store and come back empty handed because they didn't have the ammo for your rifle? You don't want to waste all of the money and effort you're putting into this trip over some detail that you haven't encountered at home. Use the round that every hunter has used to great success and then worry about practicality and useability and the fundamentals most important of all. You should be choosing something solid and then pouring all of this extra time and thought into shooting and practicing in multiple shooting scenarios. Sure from a bench rest than the choice of cartridge is a little more important based on your skill level but I can practically guarantee the accuracy difference between a 3006 and a 308 is going to make little difference if you're having to shoot standing off hand with your heart beating out of your head.

It's not about what's best on paper; it's about putting the best shots on paper. I think a .270 would work as a minimum but even more so if this is the cartridge and rifle that you've put so much time into that to start over with a new rifle and cartridge would be a detriment.

A .270 is certainly adequate for elk. An average bull is around 700 pounds. However an elk generally won't try to kill you and a bull moose can literally bet TWICE that size.

I agree with what you are saying I feel if you are close enough for it to chase you then why are you going to shoot it with a rifle? Me personally would bring a hand cannon for just such instance but these moose and bears have been killed by bows day in and day out. Also the bullet technology today is amazing and with the right round and SHOT PLACEMENT it will work just fine.

I agree with what you are saying I feel if you are close enough for it to chase you then why are you going to shoot it with a rifle? Me personally would bring a hand cannon for just such instance but these moose and bears have been killed by bows day in and day out. Also the bullet technology today is amazing and with the right round and SHOT PLACEMENT it will work just fine.
You could always just have just a snub nose or like a judge for close encounters and a rifle for the trophy.

Back
Top Bottom