• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

7mm Rem Mag is only a slight improvement over the .270 Winchester. They both can use 140 and 150 grain bullets. They're about the same diameter (.277" vs. .284") and length.
The 7mm Mag will give you 150 to 200 f.p.s. more velocity (at pretty much every range). The 7mm will give you an inch or two less bullet drop at long range, but at long range the bullet drop for either one will be measured in feet, so the difference between them is small.

If you're going to buy a new rifle for the new place you live and the new game you're going to be hunting, I say get something that shoots 180 - 250 grain bullets and still has velocity around 3000 f.p.s. and is known to pack a wallop.

As a poster above said, if self-defense is the concern rather than hunting, a 12 gauge 3" magnum slug gun should be able to put a hurting on any animal in Alaska at self-defense distances. That's a 400+ grain hunk of lead moving around 1600-1900 f.p.s. and developing nearly 3000 foot/pounds of energy. Its penetration in meat is measured in feet, not inches.

Thanks to everyone for then postings. Admittedly I am fairly new to the bolt guns, and the .270 and I came together on a trade. I have had several range sessions and am holding consistent 1" and below groups. The unfortunate part of that is after about 10 rounds I'm done, I don't even want to think about shooting it again. I'm shooting the hornady SST 130's kicking 3200fps.. I have purchased some win 150 power points to play with and see how they run.
I am concerned more with recoil on a crap shoulder with the big magnums.. Thoughts?

I have the defensive side handled by my faithful sidearm.. So no worries there..

Thanks to everyone for then postings. Admittedly I am fairly new to the bolt guns, and the .270 and I came together on a trade. I have had several range sessions and am holding consistent 1" and below groups. The unfortunate part of that is after about 10 rounds I'm done, I don't even want to think about shooting it again. I'm shooting the hornady SST 130's kicking 3200fps.. I have purchased some win 150 power points to play with and see how they run.
I am concerned more with recoil on a crap shoulder with the big magnums.. Thoughts?

I have the defensive side handled by my faithful sidearm.. So no worries there..

1 word; Accubond.

140grains of "it just died" in 270 form

Why didn't you say something about shoulder problems?

338-06

Accubond? Who makes it. .338-06? Will look at that as well..

Thought I mentioned the junk shoulders.. Yeah pretty much done..

Is the limb saver pad just hype or does it work?

Accubond? Who makes it. .338-06? Will look at that as well..

Thought I mentioned the junk shoulders.. Yeah pretty much done..

Is the limb saver pad just hype or does it work?

Nosler makes the Accubond, however Winchester loads it in their black box line, as does Federal in their Premium.

I never tried limbsaver.

I have shot medium recoil rifles,( 300 Win Mag), with a muzzle brake, and although loud, they do make a big difference.

Considering your shoulder issues, a Brake might be just the ticket on a bigger caliber.
(Earplugs recommended)

For close in, 270 should be fine with good shot placement. Part of the reason that people step up the caliber is longer distances. If you flinch and can't accurately shoot a 300 Weatherby Magnum, then it is no better...

A lot of y'all know hunting, but apparently not dangerous game hunting. A .270 will certainly kill a big bear/lion/leopard/buffalo, but may not stop or turn it in a life-or-death situation. For Alaska, that would start with .338 or .375 H&H. And .45/70 heavilly loaded, and the .416s/.458s. You can get more shots off in a hurry with a lever-gun...

The idea being that in a hurry you may not make a perfect shot, and the more margin for error you have, the more likely you are to get it to break off the attack. The guides tell me no one ever survives a charge and wishes they had had a smaller gun. I haven't been there, so this is just hearsay. .

338 or .375 is probably the most versatile. Properly loaded they still have some range which the 40s don't have, and have the penetration on big-boned animals that the .30 mags don't have.

There is a floor for dangerous game hunting in a lot of African countries, and that floor is .375 H&H equivalent or bigger. .338 doesn't make the cut, legally, though new bullet designs should probably get them to rethink the floor.

I'd use the premium-est bullet I could get, regardless of caliber. Barnes, Swift A-Frame, NorthFork, Trophy Bonded, etc. In the heaviest weight possible with typical twist rates. That's 150 for .270, 160/168 for 7mm, 200+ for .30 cal, 250+ for .338, and 300+ for .375 H&H. 400 for the .416s and 500 for the .458s just to cover 'em all. I personally don't like the .338 Win-Mag. I think the case capacity is too small to get the heavy bullets up to sufficient speed for long shots, and if you aren't going to use it for long shots, get the .375 H&H and be done with it. Lots of others disagree, unsurprisingly.

I'd probably get a stainless/synthetic short barreled Marlin .45/70 with the glove loop and ghost-ring sights if I needed bear defense. Loaded with full-power handloads or Buffalo Bore Hammerheads. This isn't the ideal hunting rifle though; range is very limited. But it can sling a lot of lead fast, and shoot nose to tail through a brownie.

A big "negatory" on the 12-gauge penetration with slugs. Sure it's a 1-oz. slug-- same as the .45-70. But it's .70 caliber to start with, not .45. Penetration is dramatically less. Feet less. Somebody from Alaska may can chime in if it's "good enough". That I don't know, but the penetration is definitely less. Now if you have a rifled barrel and .45 caliber saboted slugs, my objection falls. That'll penetrate right with the .45-70. In fact, a short-barreled 5-shot pump shotgun shooting saboted slugs would be my second choice.

Last edited:
A lot of y'all know hunting, but apparently not dangerous game hunting. A .270 will certainly kill a big bear/lion/leopard/buffalo, but may not stop or turn it in a life-or-death situation. For Alaska, that would start with .338 or .375 H&H. And .45/70 heavilly loaded, and the .416s/.458s. You can get more shots off in a hurry with a lever-gun...

The idea being that in a hurry you may not make a perfect shot, and the more margin for error you have, the more likely you are to get it to break off the attack. The guides tell me no one ever survives a charge and wishes they had had a smaller gun. I haven't been there, so this is just hearsay. .

338 or .375 is probably the most versatile. Properly loaded they still have some range which the 40s don't have, and have the penetration on big-boned animals that the .30 mags don't have.

There is a floor for dangerous game hunting in a lot of African countries, and that floor is .375 H&H equivalent or bigger. .338 doesn't make the cut, legally, though new bullet designs should probably get them to rethink the floor.

I'd use the premium-est bullet I could get, regardless of caliber. Barnes, Swift A-Frame, NorthFork, Trophy Bonded, etc. In the heaviest weight possible with typical twist rates. That's 150 for .270, 160/168 for 7mm, 200+ for .30 cal, 250+ for .338, and 300+ for .375 H&H. 400 for the .416s and 500 for the .458s just to cover 'em all. I personally don't like the .338 Win-Mag. I think the case capacity is too small to get the heavy bullets up to sufficient speed for long shots, and if you aren't going to use it for long shots, get the .375 H&H and be done with it. Lots of others disagree, unsurprisingly.

I'd probably get a stainless/synthetic short barreled Marlin .45/70 with the glove loop and ghost-ring sights if I needed bear defense. Loaded with full-power handloads or Buffalo Bore Hammerheads. This isn't the ideal hunting rifle though; range is very limited. But it can sling a lot of lead fast, and shoot nose to tail through a brownie.

A big "negatory" on the 12-gauge penetration with slugs. Sure it's a 1-oz. slug-- same as the .45-70. But it's .70 caliber to start with, not .45. Penetration is dramatically less. Feet less. Somebody from Alaska may can chime in if it's "good enough". That I don't know, but the penetration is definitely less. Now if you have a rifled barrel and .45 caliber saboted slugs, my objection falls. That'll penetrate right with the .45-70. In fact, a short-barreled 5-shot pump shotgun shooting saboted slugs would be my second choice.

My 270 is nice, in fact it is one of my favorites, but it won't leave the southeast if I Hunt a Big Critter.

Back
Top Bottom