• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jury duty....

I have a lot of respect for a jury of your peers. One of my best friends was on trial facing many many years for absolute bs charges by his ex. He pled guilty to one charge before the trial, the other charges took more than a week to try, then 2 days of jury deliberation. I was there for most of the trial and the 2 days of deliberation.

It is unreal listening to jurors argue, scream and yell over your friend's life for 2 days. The defense lawyer, prosecutors, my friend and other of his supporters. And the ex wife and her family. All waiting. Nothing anyone could do except wait on truck drivers, teachers, farmers, etc to make the decision. It was incredible to be a part of our founding fathers ideas in such a tense environment.

In the end not guilty on all other charges. His ex was furious.

I do not complain when I'm called. I've only on one case, so not bad.
interesting...I've been on a few trials....NEVER heard jurors "argue, scream, or yell".....must be somewhere other than Fulton County

I was called for a case that I honestly wish I could have served on, but...

During the empaneling the defense attorney asked if we (jurors) could "set aside all personal and professional beliefs and judge SOLELY on the law as written and the instructions of the judge".

I raised my hand and said "No".

When asked why, I replied that I was a "firm believer in Jury Nullification as set down by Justice John Jay in Georgia vs. Brailsford in..."

before I finished that statement the judge, the bailiff, the attorneys all jerked their heads at me and told me to stop talking.

I was dismissed very quickly. Even though I wanted to serve, I couldn't just say I'd go along with "the law as written". Some laws are bad / crap. I wasn't going to let someone get away with bodily harm based on an ancient law.

If you want off a jury just mention "Jury Nullification".
Interesting. I have exactly the opposite view and for the opposite reason. Legislation is for legislators. That's not the judiciary's role. During questioning by the judge we were asked if we had any problem with the law as stated for the potential punishments. I do not and did not. During voir dire, the defense attorney basically told the panel that they should ignore the law and vote on their "feelings" about what is just. In Texas the accused also gets to decide if the sentence will be decided by the judge or the jury. This defendant chose the jury. Defense attorney suggested that the broad discretion given the jury in such cases (5-99 or life) is "unfair" to the jury and therefore we should default towards the minimum. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And that's only the beginning. I had a pretty dim opinion of criminal defense attorneys prior. That guy cemented it for me.
I wanted to serve. Oh well, probably best for the defendant I didn't.

It is also some bull**** when they tell you that you should be honored and that it's a privilege to be on a jury. What a joke. I don't wanna miss work for the measly pay they give you for being on jury duty. I make what they paid me for the day in a hour at work, not to mention my fuel to get there and parking in downtown Athens.
You get to park in the courthouse parking deck for free, so you can take that off your list.

They did. Although it still doesn't change the fact that they only pay pennies for the day compared to what I would regularly make combined with not getting 8hrs of overtime pay that week. They paid me 8hrs straight pay, the check was sent back to .gov and I lost 8hrs overtime pay that week along with the hours I would've over that particular day.
It’s called Civic Duty.

Back
Top Bottom