• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jury duty

."It is your civil duty!" is what the judge told multiple people with different excuses
Is it the States' duty to force a person to participate in a system that does not live up to what a witness must swear to? "To tell the truth, the whole truth...", yet (some) evidence is withheld by one side or the other with the consent of the Court. We, the jury, are not hearing the 'truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth." I am being held against my will.

PROHIBITED ITEMS WHILE ON JURY DUTY​

The following items are prohibited in the while on jury duty:
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Items with any type of blade
  • Heavy metal belt buckles
  • Belts with a lot of metal
  • Silverware - please bring plastic
  • Scissors - all sizes
  • Knitting Needles
  • Crochet Hooks
  • P 38 military can openers
  • Acids, corrosives, combustible liquids, radioactive items or fireworks
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Non prescription drugs
  • Devices used for physical restraint
  • Disguises and Masks (Appropriate face coverings as recommended by the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department are permitted.) Same for Hall County
  • Construction tools
  • Signs or banners with sticks or pipes

Acceptable With Limitations:​

• Prescription drugs must be in the prescription bottle with the juror's name on the label
  • Open beverages like coffee or soda - you will be required to take a drink while at security, before you are allowed to enter the Courthouse.
    • Factory sealed beverages are ok.
  • Medically required canes are fine, but they will be scanned at Security
Radioactive items?

Last time I got called, after filling out the paperwork and being seated in a big room, they kept giving instructions verbally. I am hard of hearing, even with my hearing aids in and I kept having to say, really loudly, you have to speak up, speak louder. I was in the first group sent home. Following year I turned 70 and they sent another summons and I sent the notarized note that I was 70 and they removed me permanently.

I would have refused to sit on a death penalty case. The kid that murdered my grandfather in 1958 was tried and given the death penalty. After 10 years of appeals Georgia abolished the death penalty but he still sat on death row for quite a few more years. They finally let him out saying sitting on death row that long was punishment enough. I believe in the death penalty but I don't believe sentencing someone to it if you aren't going to carry it out. So, I would flat refuse.

Pushed the vending machine button to get a green tea and got orange crush...
WTF
Last time I was called they said this one judge's rule was nothing in his courtroom except bottle water. I had to leave my thermos of water at the door.
When they gave us a break, went to the (only) vending machine, and the one slot for bottled water was empty.

Any words of advice on how to not get selected?
Tell the attorney doing the empaneling that you are a firm believer in Jury Nullification and that you cannot set aside all personal and religions beliefs and solely follow the law as presented to you. There are bad laws and juries should be able to find such laws unenforceable.

The very term "Jury Nullification" can get you kicked out of the courtroom.

200w.gif

Back
Top Bottom