• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber solo: Ammo restrictions

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION
Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP

While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.

See it on here, just haven't seen it in person. don't know...

I can read this two ways, one they are trying to deter complaints of poor performance with ball ammo during practice, or two they are being asinine and trying to screw the customer.

As far as the break in period, most guns will have some sort of a break in period, after 500 rounds the action of my TRP smooths out to where it is like glass smooth. Some are more extensive then others, Kimber state four mags really isn't that bad considering some recommend 100-500 before the gun should be at peak reliability. I have also heard people on other forums claim that if you want to carry a gun other then a Glock you need to run 500 rounds of your carry load through the pistol without a malfunction before trusting it. Complete malarkey, but recommending a couple mags through the gun before carrying is prudent in my opinion. Also, I don't care what the gun is if I am trusting my life to it I am going to torture it a little before I trust it, but I'm not going to be buying a Kimber so their recommendations really don't matter to me.

I'll have to go shoot mine a bunch this weekend, providing there is no babies born this weekend, and give you guys a range report, or if someone was in town and wanted to test it out I'd gladly let ya shoot mine.

BUT if its over 1000 rounds, gotta buy me a new spring....hahahahaha

Man, I got lucky four times! At one time or another, I have owned four Kimbers. Still own one. All of them had a couple of FTF and FTE in the first two or three mags. After that I have not had a problem. I must admit I have not had to deal with their customer service, so cannot address that issue. All of mine have been trouble fee. Would still have all of them, but someone wanted them more than I did. Will be looking for the range report on the Solo.

I have two Kimbers. A pro 1911 which is wonderful handgun. No finish issues. Shooting this gun is dead eye and never have I had a miss fire. I just got my Solo and it is a little hand held jewel. I have not had any firing issues with the Solo. I have a 9mm Kahr which holds a little bigger in the hand., My Kahr is criticized too, but it is also a great gun. No ammo issues with any of my guns,.

Guys it's a simple design spec. It says right in the text there that it was DESIGNED to operate with those specific bullet weights. It doesn't say you can't shoot others at pain of death! Any one ever hear of the M1 Garand? It has a design spec for ammo and you can damage it if modification are not made to the gas system before shooting most off the shelf 30-06 ammo. Same with certain Browning A5 and some Benellie shotguns.

I must have gotten lucky with kimbers also. I have had 6. Dont have any now, but did have good luck with them. Never used there CS though

Guys it's a simple design spec. It says right in the text there that it was DESIGNED to operate with those specific bullet weights. It doesn't say you can't shoot others at pain of death! Any one ever hear of the M1 Garand? It has a design spec for ammo and you can damage it if modification are not made to the gas system before shooting most off the shelf 30-06 ammo. Same with certain Browning A5 and some Benellie shotguns.
This.
Mine works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom