• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber solo: Ammo restrictions

Only issues Ive ever had with Kimber is on the Kimpro coating and the customer service.

I've seen more then just issues with their coating and customer service, in particular two custom 1911s out of their factory that didn't work and required six months two factory trips to get to work, the two trips is the real killer because Kimber claimed no issue with the pistols after the first. Both 1911s ended up requiring their slide assemblies to be replaced, and both of these were custom builds which this problem shouldn't have occurred. A third one was a Warrior which the thumb safety sheared off. At any rate i refuse to own one, and have turned down trades because they were Kimbers. That all said, their ammo announcement doesn't strike me as being overly moronic, annoying, yes, but if it weren't a Kimber it wouldn't worry me overly much.

Yeesh. Not to step up and defend Kimber, but every company has had issues at sometime or another. I hope they get their s*** correct on the issues they have. All the Kimbers I own now, and in the past have worked just fine. Guess I lucked out, aside from finish issues.

:noidea:Odd that american rifleman would say that,i did go to kimbers website and they stated that you should shoot 124-147 gr. Hollowpoint bullets only.thank god for glocks!!!

Yeesh. Not to step up and defend Kimber, but every company has had issues at sometime or another. I hope they get their s*** correct on the issues they have. All the Kimbers I own now, and in the past have worked just fine. Guess I lucked out, aside from finish issues.

All companies have issues, but the reason Kimber gets such a poor rep has more to do with the consistency of their screw ups. The pistols that had these problems, which in both cases the problems were the same, were in pistols ordered 3 years a part so it wasn't just a short period issue. That is where a company gets stoned, one time here and there, if their is a problem a quick repair, but two trips and six months back to the factory is going to test anybody but the most patience, and if you are planning on betting your life you can become jaded and suspicious of the gun.

First rounds I ever saw cycled through one were not hollow points. They worked.

If it cycles hollow points it better cycle FMJs, generally its the other way around isn't? If they say hollow points only it sounds like they are expecting issues and trying to get out of servicing their pistols.

Nope. I have a Kimber solo, and have shot the sample gun at the range quite a bit. It will cycle anything that it was fed. The manual does state to replace the spring after 1000 rounds, but i haven't reached that on mine as of yet. The sample gun at the shop seems to be holding up just fine. Can say first hand...its probably BS.

And that shop rental probably has 10,000 rounds through it by now... Kimber is doing a little cya.

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION
Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP

While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.

See it on here, just haven't seen it in person. don't know...

Back
Top Bottom