• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Land Rover

Some of the 04 maybe 05s actually had ford engines in them because at the time ford owned L/R. The old buick engines have a flaw in the way the cylinders were sleeved that's why you never let one run hot. Discoverys were meant to have diesel engines.

It was once they changed the body style over in '05 that they had the Ford-designed Jaguar engine in them. That was/is a good motor. All the '04's (older body style) had the 4.6 which was the bored out/stroked out Buick 215. The issue with the sleeves - they were fine in the 3.5 engines, however once Rover started boring them out, and as their tooling got older, and there is some speculation as to the quality of materials being used, they started having sleeve issues. Oh then there's the whole Dexron coolant issue theory. Having seeing some of the motors with bad sleeves taken apart - there were actual cavities where the aluminum had been eaten away from the Dexron (supposedly). I'm not quite sure they were meant to have diesels even though I wish that were the case! The origin of the Disco was the RR, which was built around the recently (in 197?) Buick 215 cast, which GM tried to buy back from them. I believe (from memory) the RRs started getting diesels in the 80s (once they could create a smoother-running diesel - all the previous attempts went in the Series/Defenders). I've seen a few diesel Discos, but also a few conversion (I believe they were Isuzu diesels).

As far as why a Rover - they are high maintenance but hands down awesome off-road. I'd put a stock LR against a stock Jeep/Ford/etc. any day.

Back
Top Bottom