• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leaving my gun in my car. Advice needed.

I have a safe bolted under the back seat,will hold a full size 1911
0714171304a[1301].jpg
0714171304[1302].jpg

Get a bible case or zip up cover. Put it in ur lunchbox. I got a black case from wally world that holds the gun a holster and several mags, is no bigger than a bible and fits nicely in the bottom of my lunch box

It is not good for the ammo, but it won't quickly go bad. Years (many years), not months. I know I had some 9mm in a center console for 8+ years-- and it shot fine. Replace it every couple of years to stay on the safe side, and you'll have no problems.

Anybody remember that old blue-box Egyptian 9 that came in the 36 (IIRC) round boxes? High pressure, super cheap, and had been poorly stored. Corrosion, the boxes were damaged or falling apart? 99% of that stuff shot, and it was 40 years old, and I have to assume baking in the desert heat the whole time. I think it was sold by J&G, back in the very early 90s. I know I fired cases of that dirty crap.

It worked, and I wish it were still available since it was so darn cheap. Yours will be fine. It won't last 200+ years (literally) like if it were stored correctly, but it will certainly last more years than you would expect. Vibration in the car shaking and degrading the powder is probably a bigger concern, in the very long-term.

Buy HSTs in the 50 round box-- probably the best HPs you can buy, and less than 60 cents apiece even for .45-- you won't worry about shooting them at that price. I'm reluctant to shoot $1.50 rounds... but after discovering the HSTs in the big boxes, I've never given it another thought. I can actually practice with the stuff. Streichers, Lucky Gunner, and various other places carry the big boxes. I've seen great deals on HST on the ODT, too.

How often do troops rotate rounds in the desert. Im guessing temperature extremes are hotter and colder than in GA. Shoot the old ones on your next range trip then replace them.
Never but depending what your job and where you're at you may be going black on ammo daily. Never rotated mags, was always taught springs loose tension when they're being compressed and depressed I.e. Unloading and loading be it manually or from firing the mag. Had a lot of arguments in the military with certain NCOs who believed magazine springs would be "saved" by relieving tension on them....metallurgy says differently. As far as repeatedly loading the same round? If you're in an environment where you never fired your weapon but had to change posture like loaded at gate guard then clear weapon for chow hall then load for gate guard you just pay attention to that round and see if it's becoming deformed. That being said, after 3 deployments where i shot a lot during two and none during one, I've never seen a round loaded that detonated because of constantly taking it in and out of battery.
Not saying it can't happen, just saying I never witnessed it. Only NDs I ever saw were POGs dropping an open bolt onto a belt and NDing that round, and piss poor trigger manipulation I.e. Straight negligence.
Side note, on some of my older less ramped .380s I can watch the round setting deeper and deeper into the casing if I'm just constantly dicking with it. Have heard about pressure building up because of this but I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment.
In for education!

Back
Top Bottom