• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

protective measures,

It sounds like you are advocating only practicing technique in front of a qualified instructor. This can't be right, can it? Note I said practice, not learn.

Last edited:
Well I think we all could agree, that you don't know who you are messing with, and same goes for thugs. Many of us share different veiws, the thugs in this case were scared away, if it was another member here they may have been shot, or if a different member, they may have never known he was armed, a mixed bag of outcomes. Me, I want them to know I that i'm not here to f around right off the bat. If they approach me, I feel they need to know real quick that they do not have the upper hand, and hope the end results be the same as this situation, everybody walks away. As I said before, you don't know who you are messing with, these thugs just had attiude problems that was an easy fix, but the OP did'nt know that untill the end, you cant interveiw them, so I would have to assume that they were there to rob, beat or kill me, untill I know other wise, I have to assume the worst being that they are the ones threating a crime against me, bringing to make that desicion. I hope this has makes those punks think twice nest time, becaue they don't know who they are messing with.

i was wondering if i had pulled it would i be on the side of the law or would i have had to take that ass beating that belonged to someone else?

From my understanding, and I am in no position to interpret the law or give legal advice, but if you were actually being attacked/assaulted by more than one person, in other words being outnumbered, you are considered defenseless and have the right to defend yourself (use deadly force).

Whether or not you should show your weapon is a judgement call in my opinion. Sometimes your adrenaline may be high and judgement is altered in a situation like that, so it is easy to take that opportunity to "flex" your muscle. You have to set your ego aside there and remember whats important. Regardless, I'm glad all you guys walked away alive. Those guys may be thanking God they didn't do something stupid......OR they may be buying a gun off the streets for next time, who knows.

Jesus people your all getting in a pissing match....

It's really simple, not complicated at all!

1) Read up on the actual deadly force laws of any state you may venture through.
2) Know your weapon inside an out.
3) Practice Practice Practice. Just make sure you can quickly draw and aim/put rounds on target.
4) Carry everyday you possibly can.
5) Protect you and your families life, most situations can be deescalated just by talking in a calm voice, but be ready to use force if necessary.

That's it.

Jesus people your all getting in a pissing match....

Actually, I don't see this as a pissing match, rather a very healthy discussion of possible scenarios and preparation for them if they should occur again. It hasn't resorted to threats, insults or name calling, which happens from time to time by a select few.

protective measures,

It sounds like you are advocating only practicing technique in front of a qualified instructor. This can't be right, can it? Note I said practice, not learn.

No, that's not what I meant.
Practice is great but years ago I practiced too much before I knew how to do certain techniques properly. My suggestion is to have someone qualified watch you to confirm that you are doing the techniques correctly, otherwise it will take a lot longer to "fix" it because you have developed improper muscle memory ... then, once you have it down right, the more practice the better.

Last edited:
It seems as though going to open rather than concealed carry, which is a legal right of a GFL holder, was 100% the right decision here. What if this, what if that really doesn't matter. What if he didn't show the weapon and was knocked the &^%$ out by one sucker punch? That is very likely what could have happened, but it amounts to a hill of beans. His actions saved this possibility from happening. What if he attempted to move to a better position to elevate mental blah blah and the perps moved with him and then knocked his teeth out? What good would having that weapon be then? He wouldn't have it then because they would have likely stolen it.

In my opinion you made the right move. That is why I carry. To stop things like this from happening. If you feel your life, health, safety is threatened you use the tools you have to protect all that. Glad it worked out peacefully.

"He tried to tell them to leave and he had been getting groceries, they didn't care, they would more than likely have robbed and beat him if he hadn't shown his weapon.
Y'all keep saying "i won't show mine till im gonna use it blah blah blah" well if it was you in this situation then there would be two dead guys in the parking lot and you would have some serious splaining to do. If they were unarmed then you go to jail. You can't say you felt threatened because their dead and you have a gun, looks like a double murder to me.
He can't retreat so cross that off, He tried to explain to them and they wouldn't listen so cross that off as well, He is out manned so if they do attack he wouldn't have a chance to get his gun. The guy did what he had to do and it worked out good so why bash his actions?[/QUOTE]"

I don't know about anyone else but my comments are not meant at all to "bash" anyone. It definitely worked out well this time insofar that no one was hurt & everyone went home safely.
But all this talk back & forth in my opinion is healthy because it gets everyone thinking about how they would handle the situation. You CANNOT form a plan in the middle of a fight. But since like I said, you will only have one chance to get it right, don't you agree it's a good idea to consult with experts to get their opinion instead of only getting random opinions from strangers who may know less than you?
I consult with our local Dist. Atty's, private practice attorneys, Law Enforcement officers w/YEARS on the job, Instructors from other schools who testify as expert witnesses, & any other Qualified resource that I can learn from to form an opinion. Just like on here, sometimes they will conflict but they do this for a living & know what they are talking about.
Based on some of the responses on here, there are too many people carrying a gun who don't understand appropriate use of deadly force. It's not what I or anyone else thinks is right... IT'S WHAT THE LAW SAYS IS RIGHT... and even though that may be open to interpretation, if you have never read those laws, how can you even have an opinion?
I would encourage everyone on this forum who doesn't already, to read up on those laws & decide for themself instead of just relying on advice from strangers because it "sounds" right... No offense to anyone here but scr** that!
If my life/future is on the line, I want an expert to advise me what to do... not my waiter at Longhorns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom