• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Limb line/set line help

rustyboy

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Rear Admiral
86   0
Reaction score
My son is catfish crazy recently. We live a short walk from a decent lake loaded with largemouth, various sunfish, and quite a few nice channel cats. It's also full of turtles. We have been throwing set lines off and on for 2 weeks, with little luck. I've used live and cut blue gills, chicken liver in mesh to keep it on the hook, hot dogs, etc. The bait is always gone with only 1 fish so far. Maybe a total of 30 different set locations, 5 or so at a time, checking them as frequently as hourly. Bait is getting eaten, every single time. Using mostly 3/0 circle hooks, with a big trebble in the rotation as well. Any suggestions? The only caught fish was a smaller channel that ate a very small bluegill, almost as small as can eat his worm on a size 12 hook.

Chicken liver cut into small chunks and salted with kosher salt. Let the chunks dry out in the sun until they harden up. Use light wire J-hooks and off set the bend in the hook so the point is not lined up with the shank. Use a 10-12 inch mono leader line 6 lb test. Get a bait runner / feeder reel with the 2 drag system. I like Okuma reels but Kast King is good.

Chicken liver cut into small chunks and salted with kosher salt. Let the chunks dry out in the sun until they harden up. Use light wire J-hooks and off set the bend in the hook so the point is not lined up with the shank.
Easy solution. Will give that a shot. Liver is easy and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom