Loaner gun?

Firewall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
Does anyone keep a pistol on hand they consider a "loaner gun" ? If so, what is it?

Perhaps a some-what hypothetical situation will clarify what I'm talking about.

Suppose you have a family member who is not familiar with guns and does not own one. This family member has had problems with someone else that are not bad enough to call the police over, still give those concerned a little discomfort. This family member also lives alone.

Ideally, this person would acquire their own means of self defense. But that may not be financially possible, so they need something loaned to them in the mean time.

Considerations:

1) This person is unfamiliar with guns, which includes gun safety. You can explain the rules to people but in practice, especially in a stressful situation it may not sink in as perfectly as you'd like.

2) You may have to loan the gun now and schedule the range time for later. I know this is far from ideal, but it happens. But assume you have time for a dry fire demonstration. Or possibly time and finances do not allow for enough range time for that person to really work on their skills

3) In teaching my wife to shoot, I've learned some can not handle racking slides or heavier double action pulls. Sometimes this is strength, sometimes its just technique but neither is probably fixable in the time frame we're discussing.

4) A true carry piece is not needed, looking for more of a home defense or car gun (to a lesser extent). In other words size and weight isn't a big factor

What I'm NOT concerned about is price (for the most part) or legal implications. This would be a gun I enjoy and have a use for but wouldn't miss to the point I hesitate to loan it out, and its not a gun I worry about getting back. Either the person I loan it to is trusted enough to return it or I care enough that they can keep it as long as they need to. Price wise I'd spend enough to get something I'm comfortable trusting a loved one's life with but something I can afford to have as an "Extra".

Two guns have come to mind for this. An S&W model 10 and a Sigma 9mm. I think the model 10 is simple and easy for a new person to understand, adequate power, always reliable, and the trigger pull is heavy enough to reduce negligent discharge but light enough most people can pull it. My only concern is the capacity. 6 shots is enough for someone who actually practices but might not be sufficent for someone who has never shot a gun, or hasn't in a long time. That consideration is where the Sigma comes in but with the downside of racking the slide. Of course going semi-auto also ads a another level complexity.

I could also see a pump action shotgun for this purpose.

So, what say you ODT?

Last edited:
Pump shotgun.

Mossberg makes an HS 410. It has a pistol grip on the pump and a full stock. This lets people that might have some problems with strength or technique work a pump better. The 410 does not have much kick, but has plenty of power inside a home and it's easy to handle because of it's size.

Pump shotgun would be best for home but if they are going to take with them in car also than i would go with model 10 simple point pull trigger and shoot

adding vote for pump shotty, but would recommend a cheap 20 ga HD instead. Think Mav 88 or NEF. I am sure this next statement will get arguments, but ... I would make sure they kept the magazine full, but the chamber empty. The scariest sound a bg can hear is the racking of a shotgun. It also helps if they don't have a strong familiarity with safeties, as you mentioned.

Pump shotgun.

Mossberg makes an HS 410. It has a pistol grip on the pump and a full stock. This lets people that might have some problems with strength or technique work a pump better. The 410 does not have much kick, but has plenty of power inside a home and it's easy to handle because of it's size.

I'd agree 100% if it's a woman, read an article that a pump 410 was the ultimate HD for a woman for these exact reasons.

I was thinking of this again this morning, and a lever action .38/.357 came to mind (assuming one exists in carbine length).

I think this would allow for better ammo selection than the .410, and maybe even more capacity.

My main concern here would be after the fact. On my Marlin .30-30 to safely secure it after shooting, I believe the only option is to lower the hammer on a live round or cycle the action until its unloaded.

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of the .410 for home defense. Modern test have shown that it lacks penetration necessary to be effective when using bird shot, which is the most commonly found load for it. Buckshoot is only three pellets, but does produce greater stopping power than the birdshot. A .410 capable of firing a slug would deliver pretty good stopping power, but if going that route why not use a rifle?

A 12 gauge be a much better option, and it's not too much for a female to handle. Ever female with the DOC in GA qualifies with a 12 ga. I think that would be a much better option that placing a rifle in the hands of someone that is not practiced.

To answer your original questions, I think the Model 10 is a fine choice for a "loaner" gun. It's simple, reliable, and it can get the job done.

Luke

Last edited:
What I'm NOT concerned about is price (for the most part) or legal implications.

No, I never "loan" anyone a weapon, though I'd be more than happy to help them acquire one. I think it is important to consider the legal implications; "trustworthy"/"loved one" or not, you never know what could happen, and then the crazies may use the legal system against you. If you don't mind not getting it back, why not just make it theirs?

I would buy this person the S&W 10 and/or the pump .410. The S&W is easy to keep in the car, and there is nothing (in my opinion) that brings about reason as quickly to a stupid person as the sight of a shotgun... especially the sound of a round being chambered in a pump shotgun.

I echo the thoughts of others who have posted by saying pump shotgun should be the choice. I would say a NEF Pardner Pump shotgun is a great choice because, it is inexpensive, versatile, and deadly. The 12 gauge can be somewhat heavy and it does have a heavy recoil but my 5'4" neice handles one quite well. All that being said, I do not loan weapons. I would rather buy one for the needy family member than loan one of "mine". I agree with Kilo, a .410 is a good, competent option and given strength issues or other factors, it may be the correct choice. However, if the family member has good health and good strength, I would go with the 12.

Back
Top Bottom