• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Long range shooting

6.5 creedmoor, good affordable ammo as well.
Ruger Precision rifle is a very good entry rifle that performs above it's price.

Athlon Cronos is awesome and can run with the big name brands.

I shoot Sako, Tikka, Ruger rifles a good bit and they perform well.
My scopes are Kahles, Nightforce, Athlon, Trijicon and Leupold in that order.

You have to decide on a normal stock or chassis style gun, and weight.
You need to look through some high end glass before you buy online.
I am pickier about my glass than the rifle because so so glass can work but great glass makes it way way easier.

Don't blast away and modern barrels can last several thousand rounds.

Scope rings /mounts, bipod, range finder and other gear is stuff you don't want to skimp on either.

Again..6.5cm has taken the shooting world by storm since Hornady got behind it.

Hornady has always been behind the 6.5 CD, from the start...

We use to load our own .260 off .308 before it was cool.

Yep get the 6.5 buy once and cry once

I have 3 Creedmoors and 5-308s well so much for the buy once

4 years with 308 bolts and ARs I finally got a 6.5 creed and the 308 just hang on the wall now most of the time.

Also how far do you plan on shooting around here hard to get past 600 )but even at 500 or so Creedmoor is more forgiving

Then you can get to 1000 with about 2 1/2 drive or 2200 with a 4 hour drive but that range is rarely open to the public

I must warn you very addictive hobby chasing further and/or tighter groups

So I have 2x 6.5CMs. Nothing wrong with them but now that guys are catching onto the long range scene there are tons of caliber options. The PRS guys are now moving over to the 6mms. Theres also a revitalization among the .243 win and .260 Rem now that the PRS guys opened the door to the 6 and 6.5s.

The nice thing about the 6.5CM is you’re probably going to have 2800-3200 rounds of barrel life. The 6.5 SUAMs, 6.5PRC, 6.5WSM, and the 6.5 GAP 4S are game changers for shooting 1200 yards plus. You need to balance long range performance with barrel life if you don’t want to swap barrels every 1200 rounds. It’s addicting when you make your first 500+ yard hit on steel. Good luck!

Another thought. You might want to also get a good quality 22lr bolt gun and a good enough scope. Trying to shoot bug holes in the wind at 100 yards is good practice for longer range with a center-fire. 100 yard ranges are a lot easier to find and good ammo is still cheap.

Knowledge and theory are great, but nothing beats trigger time.

So I have 2x 6.5CMs. Nothing wrong with them but now that guys are catching onto the long range scene there are tons of caliber options. The PRS guys are now moving over to the 6mms. Theres also a revitalization among the .243 win and .260 Rem now that the PRS guys opened the door to the 6 and 6.5s.

The nice thing about the 6.5CM is you’re probably going to have 2800-3200 rounds of barrel life. The 6.5 SUAMs, 6.5PRC, 6.5WSM, and the 6.5 GAP 4S are game changers for shooting 1200 yards plus. You need to balance long range performance with barrel life if you don’t want to swap barrels every 1200 rounds. It’s addicting when you make your first 500+ yard hit on steel. Good luck!
That would be lovely. I'm rebarreling at just under 2k rounds thanks to PRS (blank sipped today). Running your barrel hard and hot cuts that number down significantly. My load isn't even hot.

That would be lovely. I'm reveling at just under 2k rounds thanks to PRS. Running your barrel hard and hot cuts that number down significantly. My load isn't even hot.

Yeah my buddies PRS 6.5 CM took a dump at 1900. That’s literally a year of shooting. Just Practice and 5 or 6 comps. Lol

Another thought. You might want to also get a good quality 22lr bolt gun and a good enough scope. Trying to shoot bug holes in the wind at 100 yards is good practice for longer range with a center-fire. 100 yard ranges are a lot easier to find and good ammo is still cheap.

Knowledge and theory are great, but nothing beats trigger time.

What scope would you recommend for a 22lr trainer?

Back
Top Bottom