• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for reloading advise, newbie! Tools, Supplies Etc.

Norbert

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
With the cost of ammo going up I am considering reloading.

My question is what would be the best bench press and accessories for reloading a wide variety of ammo.

I would like to trade or purchase used equiptment what brand would be best and most versitile, what can I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.

The first tool you're going to need are a few reloading manuals. The sticky on the forum is for sure a good source. After these then go and view a setup that someone else has it wouldn't hurt to view more than one. After doing these things you will be more prepared to know the equipment you will need to do the handloading you are attempting. Good luck and I will be glad to help you.

Ps. Don't get into this thinking you will save money. LOL.

My suggestion would be to look into the cost of components (brass, powder, primers and bullets) and figure what your cost per round would be. Then figure in the cost of a press, tumbler, tumble media, dies, case lube, scale, primer flip tray and a bench if you don't have one. Then figure out how much you shoot and how long will it take you to pay off the press and basic items. That's a fairly quick way to determine if you will save any money.

Like the others said, won't save money. But for how much you'd shoot factory loaded ammo, you'd be able to shoot around double or so (depending on quality of powder and projectiles) when you reload.. But check some reloading manuals and YouTube first and see what you think after that ... :)

Last edited:
For me loading ain't about saving money. It's the ability to load just what I want that appeals to me.

If you shoot magnums of any type, it wan't take long to save enough to offset your investment.

9 mm and .223 at regular prices will take longer to pay off than others.

As already posted the above sticky threads are where to find the basic answers to f.a.q.'s of getting started.

Do you save much if you are shooting 308 or 30-06?

Let me start off by saying I only load pistol. Several guys I know that do load for rifle calibers contend that they do save money because they can load the equivalent of premium ammo for much cheaper. If you're using a less expensive, single stage press I'll agree with that statement. If you're using a $600 Dillon progressive then it's back to "Home much will you shoot?"

There are a lot of facets to reloading. I initially started into it to be able to load a consistent load at a relatively high volume. Now, ten years later I tinker a little, try different loads and have started loading .357 Mag for a rifle.

If you're looking for a cheap alternative to buying factory rifle ammo it's not really out there. The ability to tailor loads to suit a certain gun or certain conditions is a huge benefit.

Back
Top Bottom