• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for reloading advise, newbie! Tools, Supplies Etc.

Hey guys. I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP. Starting to read and watch videos.

I want to reload because I've fallen in love with 10mm and the only loads I like are almost a buck a round. I plan on just doing that to start with. And I plan to shoot A LOT. So I know it will be pricey to start but I think I can catch up pretty quick.

What do you all think?

Hey guys. I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP. Starting to read and watch videos.

I want to reload because I've fallen in love with 10mm and the only loads I like are almost a buck a round. I plan on just doing that to start with. And I plan to shoot A LOT. So I know it will be pricey to start but I think I can catch up pretty quick.

What do you all think?

If you need help let me know!

There is a guy at work that is also getting into reloading for the first time. He just bought an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. Midway has them for $320, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. RCBS has a $50 (or free bullets) rebate, making it even cheaper.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

I think this is a fine kit to start with. You'll still need a few other small items like a tumbler and a set of calipers, but this is a good kit with quality components.

After that, the very best thing you can do is find someone close that already reloads. I'll be teaching the guy from work.

-Adrian

There is a guy at work that is also getting into reloading for the first time. He just bought an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. Midway has them for $320, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. RCBS has a $50 (or free bullets) rebate, making it even cheaper.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

I think this is a fine kit to start with. You'll still need a few other small items like a tumbler and a set of calipers, but this is a good kit with quality components.

After that, the very best thing you can do is find someone close that already reloads. I'll be teaching the guy from work.

-Adrian

LOL, I was literally just looking at that one before I came back on ODT.

Absolutely not. You have to have a license to sell ammunition.

What do you all think?

I load for the 10mm and you will be so happy with the results the stuff they sell is crap it is just enough to cycle the slide. I'm talking about most ammo I know there is buffalo bore and double tap even hornady but if it is not self defense ammo ( which is mucho money) it is crap. But brass is hard to find buy thousand at a time cause most people are always on back order or charge double

I have been looking into loading as well. I have priced and priced and once I decided to bite the bullet I found components in short supply. I have noticed small pistol primers are gone from small packs to multiple thousand packs. I want to reload not only for cost per round but also because I mostly shoot fixed sited revolvers. While 98% of all 38's Ive found (never seen the 2%) are regulated for 158 all the ammo I find is 130. I want to load so that POA = POI.

Let me start off by saying I only load pistol. Several guys I know that do load for rifle calibers contend that they do save money because they can load the equivalent of premium ammo for much cheaper. If you're using a less expensive, single stage press I'll agree with that statement. If you're using a $600 Dillon progressive then it's back to "Home much will you shoot?"

There are a lot of facets to reloading. I initially started into it to be able to load a consistent load at a relatively high volume. Now, ten years later I tinker a little, try different loads and have started loading .357 Mag for a rifle.

If you're looking for a cheap alternative to buying factory rifle ammo it's not really out there. The ability to tailor loads to suit a certain gun or certain conditions is a huge benefit.

Wheeler said it best. You only save money when it comes to larger rifle calibers. I have a dillon 650 I use for 9 and 45. It is a little cheaper overall now then buying but I shoot a lot more when shooting reloaded ammo. When I want 300 blackout suppressed or 308 ammo I use a lee single stage. It takes longer but is much cheaper.

Wheeler said it best. You only save money when it comes to larger rifle calibers. I have a dillon 650 I use for 9 and 45. It is a little cheaper overall now then buying but I shoot a lot more when shooting reloaded ammo. When I want 300 blackout suppressed or 308 ammo I use a lee single stage. It takes longer but is much cheaper.

This makes sense. I think when you plan on doing what I'm doing which is just concentrating on 10mm savings will come. Especially when you consider the price of real 10mm loads. Double Tap is at a buck a round. Underwood is near .75. The savings won't be immediate and that really isn't my #1 focus. Anybody who knows 10mm knows that supply is there for a week and gone for 3 months, especially in the foreseeable future.

New question for 10mm reloaders that shoot Glock 20. Which aftermarket barrels have you found that does the least amount of brass damage?

Back
Top Bottom