• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for reloading advise, newbie! Tools, Supplies Etc.

This makes sense. I think when you plan on doing what I'm doing which is just concentrating on 10mm savings will come. Especially when you consider the price of real 10mm loads. Double Tap is at a buck a round. Underwood is near .75. The savings won't be immediate and that really isn't my #1 focus. Anybody who knows 10mm knows that supply is there for a week and gone for 3 months, especially in the foreseeable future.

New question for 10mm reloaders that shoot Glock 20. Which aftermarket barrels have you found that does the least amount of brass damage?

I'm not sure I'm following you. I was not aware barrels damaged brass, unless they were out of spec. There are several makers of 10 mm barrels and Glock has a decent selection, Bar-Sto, KKM, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf (Chinese import). I'm sure I left out one or two.

The issue you may have and I did a thread on a red neck bore hone "Bore Horny" in the Gun Smith area may be your reloads may not fit well in a tight tolerance barrel even with factory new brass, re-sized and ran through your dies.

Lone Wolf will open up the chamber if you send them a few (inert) of your rounds. I think most will charge you for this. I did it myself from stuff lying around the man cave.

None of the barrels will cause damage unless the chamber is excessively out of tolerance.

As for reloading if you are on a tight budget what it really does is allow you to shoot more. Start shooting cast lead and the cost per round goes way down. Scrounge your own source of cheap lead and start casting your own bullets and the cost starts approaching the powder/primer cost especially if you sourced free lead.

I don't often count the cost of brass as I have been scrounging range brass since I was 8 (40 years’ worth). The 10 mm is not one I tend to pick up scrounging so you may want to purchase it. Starline makes about the best brass for the coin spent.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/all-cases.cfm

For maximum loads I only use new unfired or once fired brass. My range brass is for plinking/practice/training.

I'm not sure I'm following you. I was not aware barrels damaged brass, unless they were out of spec. There are several makers of 10 mm barrels and Glock has a decent selection, Bar-Sto, KKM, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf (Chinese import). I'm sure I left out one or two.

The issue you may have and I did a thread on a red neck bore hone "Bore Horny" in the Gun Smith area may be your reloads may not fit well in a tight tolerance barrel even with factory new brass, re-sized and ran through your dies.

Lone Wolf will open up the chamber if you send them a few (inert) of your rounds. I think most will charge you for this. I did it myself from stuff lying around the man cave.

None of the barrels will cause damage unless the chamber is excessively out of tolerance.

As for reloading if you are on a tight budget what it really does is allow you to shoot more. Start shooting cast lead and the cost per round goes way down. Scrounge your own source of cheap lead and start casting your own bullets and the cost starts approaching the powder/primer cost especially if you sourced free lead.

I don't often count the cost of brass as I have been scrounging range brass since I was 8 (40 years’ worth). The 10 mm is not one I tend to pick up scrounging so you may want to purchase it. Starline makes about the best brass for the coin spent.

For maximum loads I only use new unfired or once fired brass. My range brass is for plinking/practice/training.

I asked about the Glock 20 damaging brass because on another forum more than a few said the stock 20 barrel has left damage on brass. Was wondering if anybody on here has seen or experienced that.

Thanks!

Factory Glock barrels have slightly over sized chambers. It's part of what makes them reliable. The downside for a reloaded is the brass stretches to fit the chamber when the cartridge is fired. This in turn stretches and weakens the brass. The aftermarket barrels such as Lone Wolf have tighter tolerances in the chambers and also don't have polygonal rifling, making it easier to shoot lead bullets.

A budget minded reloader can really reduce the cost per round (for nearly all ammo) if you load by the 1000 or more. You will need to shop around and purchase bullets at bulk reduced prices. Buy primers at no less than 1000 at a time. Buy powder in bulk to save hazmat fees or pick it up at the gun show.

I save the most on pricey ammo like 10mm and rifle ammo (except for 7.62x39-steel cased). As chuckdog states reloading gives you control and flexibility. What always kills me is the increased price of some of the "sub-sonic" ammo. So you use less powder (cutting cost) and increase the price to the consumer. Why? Cuz if your shooting suppressed you need it and will pay more for it.

You can load it down and save wear and tear of you weapons. You can load it up for performance.

I'm watching the .223 ammo fly off the shelf for over $300/500 (even the steel case crap) if you can even find it. I can make a thousand rounds of brass cased .223 right now for less than $145. That is because I bought bullets at $80/1K, powder for less than $20/lb. and primers for around $25/1K. Good luck right now on trying to find bulk pack .223 bullets at any price and all the folks I get powder from are back ordered as well as primers. It will take a while to see this run on components cease and prices to normalize again. As the prices return to normal, buy in bulk and stock it for times like these.

While others are freaking out trying to get ammo, I go to the bench and load up a few more hundred or so.

If you want to spend the most amount possible for your re-loads, go the local gun store and buy a pound of powder, 100 primers and a box of 50-100 count jacketed premium bullets, buy 50-100 factory new brass there as well. Do this and you will be parted from your shooting money and could end up paying more than if you just bought it off the shelf.

Factory Glock barrels have slightly over sized chambers. It's part of what makes them reliable. The downside for a reloaded is the brass stretches to fit the chamber when the cartridge is fired. This in turn stretches and weakens the brass. The aftermarket barrels such as Lone Wolf have tighter tolerances in the chambers and also don't have polygonal rifling, making it easier to shoot lead bullets.

That's the info I was looking for. Thank you!!

A link for enlarging the chamber to allow your reloads to function well: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/237427-Bore-Horny!?highlight=bore+horny

+1 on the generous chamber space of Glock pistols and if you do have issues with brass not chambering for whatever reason a Lee “Bulge Buster Die” (reasonable cost $30) can be had that will greatly improve or correct the issue. It’s more of a problem with fired in a factory barrel and reloaded then shot out of a match grade barrel brass.

It pushes the finished round through the die and it sizes the entire round to a minimum diameter. The .40/10mm are the same die and the 9mm die has to be special ordered.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/235953-9mm-gages-help?highlight=lee+bulge+buster

I asked about the Glock 20 damaging brass because on another forum more than a few said the stock 20 barrel has left damage on brass. Was wondering if anybody on here has seen or experienced that.

Thanks!

I got you clear now. Yeah Wheeler is on point. Here are some pics to illustrate the issue they mention. It was most notable on very early .40 S&W Glocks. It can happen to most any semi-auto of the Browning design. I had it happen on an HK .45 ACP and a particularly warm .45 ACP loading with a new powder I was working with. I adjusted the dose so to speak and it corrected itself.

i49.tinypic.com_2im2fld.jpg

Here is a case with the bulge: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/case-bulges.html

I have ran some other barrels, but for 10mm I only run kkm precision. The chamber support is needed when I fire aluminum gas checked cast bullets at near light speed. As far as reloading advice; get a lee single stage press, lee dies, and a good electronic scale. Watch youtube, and ask questions. I have loaded probably 50,000 rounds of different calibers and cast bullets. 9 times out of 10 any question you need to know has been asked on some forum somewhere. I use google alot. Once you get the hang of it upgrade to a dillon precision machine. I have only been reloading for about 5 yrs, and still considered a newbie. It is an art of perfection. It takes time. You can always skip the lee step and go straight for dillon. I went single stage rcbs, to lee turret press, and I just ordered a dillon from Afghanistan for when I get back. Cast bullets are great for saving money but save yourself the pain and time and go jacketed. I dont own a reloading manual and never have, just use youtube and google lol

Back
Top Bottom