• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy a dependable .22lr Semi-Automatic Handgun. Suggestions?

I was looking for one recently also, couldn't decide between the mp22 compact , mk4 or a sr22. Mainly getting to plink and for the kids to start on. I settled on the sr22. Think I went with the wrong one. The trigger in da is creepy and awkwardly cheap feeling. Shoots good, no issues with ammo so far and an overall good gun. If you were closer I'd say swing by and shoot it before you invest in one though. I'm putting it on here so I can get a mk3/4
DA/SA is the reason I've never owned a SR22.

I've got a Ruger mk III, bull barrel, and had the same as a mk II. Good guns, can't really go wrong. I'm going to sell it to get either a S&W Victory or a browning Buckmark, just for a change, I just use them for plinking.

.22 ammo quality has been inconsistent lately.

Remington Golden bullets have been pretty consistent for me. I buy the bucket o bullets and they function in everything. I have noticed that some of the Agulia brands are inconsistent. Outta the same box you will have some hotter than others.
My new favorite is the Norma Tac 22. They are subsonic out of the pistol barrel, yet powerful enough to cycle the actions.

Remington Golden bullets have been pretty consistent for me. I buy the bucket o bullets and they function in everything. I have noticed that some of the Agulia brands are inconsistent. Outta the same box you will have some hotter than others.
My new favorite is the Norma Tac 22. They are subsonic out of the pistol barrel, yet powerful enough to cycle the actions.
I have the opposite experience with Aguila Super Extra. It has been very reliable and consistent for me.

I have .22's that will not run Golden Bullet. Period. Dot. My 10/22 will spit it out and ask for more.

I have decided on Aguila for match ammo both for availability and reliability. Just because it works for me isn't a claim that it will work for others.

Any firsthand experience? Looking for reliability feedback before I shell out the $$ because as you stated, their quite expensive for what they are.

Yup, I've got one of the little Browning 1911s in 22. It's never given me any problems, but I bought it more as a collectible (it's the 1911 Anniversary model) than anything else, so I don't have a ton of rounds through it.

I'm still saying Ruger SR-22... although I have heard that the M&P 22 is a solid pistol also, and it's reasonably priced. Love my Smith & Wesson Victory, but you'll be tempted to spend money on it to make it 'better'. Leave it stock though and it's a good, reliable pistol at a reasonable price.

I am big fan of the 22/45. For everyone that's crying about how hard it is to field strip, I have no idea what you are talking about. Shoot until it feels crunchy, squirt some CLP in there, then keep shooting. That's been working pretty good for me for the last 10 years or so. Have more rounds through that gun than everything else I own combined.

Back
Top Bottom