• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy new Diesel pickup need input

Which Brand do you recommend and why?

• Total voters
19 Ford 6.7 now, previous was a 16 Ram 6.7 Cummins. The Cummins was fine but the quality of the rest of the Ram left plenty to be desired... DEF pump went out at 36000 miles and was an argument with dealership to get it repaired under warranty.
Almost 4 years with the Ford and really have no major complaints, been solid and reliable thus far. Before the Ram I had an 02 F250 with the 7.3, wish I hadn't sold it but the 6.7 is much stronger.

I had a 2006 2500HD, Duramax, that I just recently gave to my daughter, because I bought a 2016 Duramax 3500HD Dually.

I have never done anything to them except oil changes. They never let me down, and they yanked around my 12,000lb travel trailer like it was not there.

I'm sure the Fords are just as good, but we have always been a Chevrolet family.

All three can give problems but the Ford seems to be the most sorted at the moment, with Ram in a close second. Avoid the GMs.

That’s being said, the new gas engines are very capable. Unless you’re towing multiple times a week or 15k pounds or more regularly, I’d avoid diesels altogether.

No one I know with any of the brands diesels are 100% happy with them.

Full disclosure I bought a 2022 F350 single wheel with the 7.3 gas engine the best mileage I got was 11 mpg on a a a trip . 8-9 mpg around town. The diesel had to be better although by the time you factor in fuel.initial cost and upkeep might be a wash. I drove a 2023 f 250 with the new for this year 6.3l gas. I just hate to buy anything the first year it comes out. I’m going to be pulling a 38’ bumper pull camper.

Powerstroke or Cummins if you are buying brand new. 2016 or newer for a used Powerstroke, I believe the Cummins bad years were 09.5-14 but not 100% certain.

Back
Top Bottom