• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy new Diesel pickup need input

Which Brand do you recommend and why?

• Total voters
Delete the **** or deal with the consequences of having it. Bunch of garbage it is! There are disaster prevention kits for the Powerstroke for fuel contamination
I already did. Deleted and tuned. . . . Replaced fuel pump with the one that doesn't grenade and send metal into the injectors and fuel tank etc.

If I was buying a new diesel truck it would be another Ford replacing my 24 year old F250 7.3L but she's still strong with lots of life lef
My 97 F-350 7.3 dually turned 200k this year, now that I've moved I'll probably drive less so I'm hoping to be driving it when the feds say no more old trucks on the road.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy a new one. Way too expensive, you have to deal with emissions and the fuel economy isn't what the pre 07' models were.
What I would buy is a pre 07' Dodge with the 5.9L Cummins. Better fuel economy and no Blue Def to deal with. Manufactures went to a larger displacement engine to compensate for the new emissions requirements in 07', Thus the fuel mileage went down and reliability due to more sophistication for the emissions. Also the older trucks still have steel bumpers. Obviously the new trucks tow and haul more, but at a cost. It will take patience to find the right deal, low mileage and excellent condition as these trucks were bought to drive hard in most cases

Looking to buy a new 3/4 ton pickup with Diesel. this will be my first diesel so I'm not sure what brand to buy. Usually I'm a Ford guy but want to hear others.
Gonna agree with what some have said. The Ram Cummins engine is amazing, but it unfortunately comes stock in a Ram truck, which blows. The Ford 6.7 has unbelievable power and the trucks themselves are pretty nice. GM diesels can be good, but generally less than that 6.7. My personal holy grail of diesels is probably the 04 Dirtymax or a esrly 2000's Seven Tree in a Ford. Great reliability and pre-EPA BS.

All the big three are currently saddled with EPA trash hardware and rules that will wreck mileage, cost money, and create maintenance issues. You're going to crap your pants the first time you buy fuel with a little water in it or have the pump just grenade. You literally have to R&R practically the entire fuel system to the tune of $7k-12k depending on the model.

If you're not towing on the regular, you may do better with a gas burner.

the ford guys will always tell you the powerstroke. the power stroke is a great motor if you dont mind spending 7K to "bullet proof" it every year.
the duramax is the way to go. look at all the used ford and dodge used diesels for sale. then look at the chevy and gm are hard to find a used, people dont sell them. trust me, i am looking for a 0 7 1/2 to an 09 2500 now. my last two an 01 dually and a 05 2500, i sold the dually with 300k on it, last i heard it was still going, the 2500 i sold with 430k on it, and it still runs strong. sold it to a buddy and he is still driving it. both got 20+ mpg.
just shop the used market and you will see what people keep and what they sell...

Everyone needs a bad ass Dog to ride in the bad ass truck. I have 3 of her sons left
20315.jpeg

I’ve towed 12k with my company truck , a 2017 Chevy 2500 HD 4wd with the 7.0 gas engine .

And I’ve Towed a skid steer and mini excavator plots of times with it .

Is it a little slower than the diramax diesel ?
Yep it is .
The company I work for has diramax versions of the same truck , but they lease them , the only ones they buy are the gasoline trucks , due to the complexity and the repair costs of the new diesels with the DRF

Depends on ow much weight and how often you’re towing .
I’ve had lots of pickups assigned to me over the least 15 years at this company and the one I miss the most is the Toyota tundra .

I’d swap the Chevy for a tundra in a flash if I could .

Back
Top Bottom