• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy new Diesel pickup need input

Which Brand do you recommend and why?

• Total voters
Pics of new ride
Now that I have it I’m hearing horror stories about CP4 fuel pumps in all the diesels. Anybody have an insight on this?
From the people I know it’s pretty much a non issue if you don’t buy the cheap crap fuel.
I’ve been buying QT fuel at their truck pumps for my 18. When I do I get a surging effect from my Fuel quantity regulator. So I’ll only fuel at the full service truck stops now. Hate the cost but for clean fuel…

Keep the fuel filters serviced, and put good fuel in and it’s essentially a non issue.
But it is a story that’s bandied about as if it’s going to happen to all of them. Have acquaintances that have 4-600k with no issues.

They can crap themselves and dump metal particles right into the entire fuel system. They cool/lubricate themselves in the diesel going to the engine. There are updated systems you can swap in.
Yes there is, I have the DPK just arrived, probably be next weeks project.
I think a few companies are now selling direct replacement pumps. But I’d suspect that that rusty stuff that comes out of old fuel storage tanks would wear out any pump.

I think a few companies are now selling direct replacement pumps. But I’d suspect that that rusty stuff that comes out of old fuel storage tanks would wear out any pump.
The pump wearing out wasn't the real rub, it was that the drive side bathes in the same fuel as the rails.

What is "DPK" remember I'm a diesel newbie

So those fuel pump crapping metal in to your fuel system issues have been going on for years now and they still keep putting the crap pumps in. I used a FAAS fuel system on mine, installed myself. But yeah if you use good diesel, and change your filters routinely you should be OK, I just wanted a better system and opted for something aftermarket.

Pics of new ride
Now that I have it I’m hearing horror stories about CP4 fuel pumps in all the diesels. Anybody have an insight on this?
Yes, there's a replacement for the CP4 now that eliminates the need for the DPK. Let me find the link and I'll post it.

Yes, there's a replacement for the CP4 now that eliminates the need for the DPK. Let me find the link and I'll post it.

the new pump design doesn’t allow debris to get into fuel system like the current pump does when a catastrophic failure happens. there’s several videos out there straight from S&S and I think powerstroke tech talk also did a video that speak to exactly that the top and bottom halves of the pump are isolated from each other so there’d be no system contamination should there be a failure

Back
Top Bottom