• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

man up thread

I was deer hunting once when I was young.12 gauge buckshot or slug, I can't remember. I thought I heard one coming so I shouldered the gun and aimed it in the direction of the sound. Couldn't see anything, but I clicked off the safety. No deer ever appeared. So I sit the gun back across my lap.

Time goes by and I hear some more stirring in the leaves. I get real exited again and stand the gun up with the butt of it on my thigh, barrel pointing at the sky. I'm about to shoulder it when BOOM! My dumb arse never put the gun back on safety and I touched the trigger when handling the gun. Almost crapped my pants. That was over 15 years ago. I still think about it now when handling weapons. I was lucky I didn't end myself that morning.

You definitely have to keep your wits about u when handling weapons. It can happen to anyone! Even the most experienced handlers slip up sometimes. Be careful!

You were lucky. Anyone who thinks they are beyond an AD is a fool. Anyone who takes every safety measure EVERY SINGLE TIME he picks up a firearm is wise!

I got it out of my system when I was young.

I was 14 or 15 and I was shooting a Ruger Mark II. I dropped a bullet and decided to pick it up before I shot the pistol- magazine in, one in chamber. Well, as luck would have it, right next to the dropped bullet was a snake. That scared the crap out of me even though it wasn't poisonous. I stood up quickly and accidentally pulled the trigger. The shot went about 3" from my foot.

My dad was about 50 yards away and he asked what I was shooting at... Told him a snake.

I think it was at that moment I developed "Firearm OCD" which (thankfully) I've never been cured of.

for those of you that had an AD inside a house... how long till the ear ringing stopped?

I have an AD with a crap jennings 22 a few years ago... did not remember it being that loud, but perhaps the shock of it kinda had me focus on that fact a round just went off and hit the steel toe on my boot.

I remeber once while duck hunting with my brother, he leaned his shotgun vertical against the wall in a raised blind.. when I was climbing into the blind, gun fell over with barrel pointing right at my stomach... if it had went off I would have been dead...

Thats all I Got...

Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman

I had a ND once when I was shooting clay targets. I was about 18 or 19 at the the time. Shotgun was pointed downrange so no one was hit....however my mentor gave me an earful.

Last edited:
was in a store once where they had found what they thought was an older model snap cap in the back. they decided to test it out in one of the used guns in the counter. Loaded it up and i was standing right in front when it went off to my left. turns out it was a fully loaded 9mm blank. nothing scarier than a gun shot in a gun store lol. everyone there came running with guns drawn, i hit the deck as soon as it happened and they thought i was shot lol. after finding out it was a blank and it wasnt pointed at me, i got a good laugh but the ringing didnt stop for over a week on that one. as stated in other posts, i just about crapped my pants.

for those of you that had an AD inside a house... how long till the ear ringing stopped?

I have an AD with a crap jennings 22 a few years ago... did not remember it being that loud, but perhaps the shock of it kinda had me focus on that fact a round just went off and hit the steel toe on my boot.

Not an AD, but shot a 8mm Mauser 98K in my grandfather's basement when I was about 14, I didn't know any better, he should have. My ears range for days and we got quite the butt chewing from my grandmother, who happened to be standing directly above cooking on the stove at the time. I'd never seen her angry until that day....

My brother shot a hole in his bedroom wall "dry-firing" his Ruger Super Single Six, our Dad had been shooting it in the backyard, didn't clear the chamber, brother didn't clear the chamber before dry-firing. Gave them all quite the scare, I was away at college.

Last edited:
I can attest to some shell shock....buddy and I were out hunting some boar..came across a group of dillers....i took two on the left...he took two to the right with his glock 21...well at one point his two ran over toward my two and next thing I knew he was standing about 3 feet away from me unload the remainder of his 28rnd clip right next to my ear. I had ringing for about 2 days and the worst head ache the rest of that day..needless to say it ruined my hunt...but i was initially dazed and couldnt even articulate words to tell him how pissed i was

Back
Top Bottom