Mechanics and business owners

I think I'm just a hard to plead asshole.......but yes, i just want my truck back working and safe to drive and be done with it. Mark them off the list....

I think I'm just a hard to plead asshole.......but yes, i just want my truck back working and safe to drive and be done with it. Mark them off the list....

Nah man there's nothing a**holeish about that, everyone has different expectations about how services and warranties should work which is why when shopping around for a service you should ask how their warranty works so that there's no confusion if something goes wrong. Places that do say if we screw up we will fix it and refund your money are normally more expensive but they also pay better attention to detail.

I would have paid the tow, fixed it regardless what it took at that point and may have given you a car to drive. I say may have because if you came busting in my door acting like you were owed the world and acting the fool I wouldnt go far above or beyond.

To the guy that says take it to another shop and bill the original shop....good luck with that. Your only option would be to pay the 2nd shop and try to get reimbursed by the first. I wouldnt. You could take the first shop to small claims for it...but youll lose. You voided the terms of warranty by going elsewhere for starters, and you must PROVE negligence. You cant prove negligence in this case. Been a witness for too many folks that got ripped off(you didnt) and proving negligence against a mechanic is tuff.

Stuff happens when working on mechanical things. Rusty or rough threads, a weak mechanic, the new bearing being in a different spot from the original, even a tiny fraction of a fraction of an inch, and a tiny misalignment can cause an imperceptable vibe that can loosen old bolts. Who knows. They goofed, they manned up and did what was to be expected. You probably could have asked for a rental or loaner and gotten it. Getting heated and demanding cash usually doesnt work so well.

Oh yeah, owned my place since 1999. It opened in 1989, I went to work there in 1994 bought the original owner out in '99. I give away more stuff to keep folks happy than the normal shop. We have an exceptionally low come back rate, but come backs happen. I get accused of being the cause of the problem all the time, its part of it. Parts fail, we screw up, and most times the failure is unrelated. Sometimes I fix it for free anyway due to ...as the original owner used to say...customer perception. This business is tough and its getting darned hard for independents to survive. Treat your shop right and they will bend over backwards for you to a point....but they aint gonna let you kick them in the balls too.

YMMV

Let me just say i wasn't a jerk, my exact words were "it would be nice to get my labor $ back". When they said no, then I explained my reasoning. We went back and forth but it wasn't really heated.

Back
Top Bottom