• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MIL vs MOA

aragorn1

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
22   0
Reaction score
Considering buying a Trijicon AccuPower for the Scar 17, do not know whether to choose MIL or MOA. Any feedback and reasons you would pick one over the other would be appreciated.

Do you have any other optics in either MIL or MOA? If so I would recommend staying consistent. I have MIL for all of mine and am very happy with it.
I have learned to do some basic ranging using MIL but it does require math, memory and a steady hold on what you're ranging. The biggest thing to note though is to make sure your turrets match your reticle. I've seen MIL reticles with MOA turrets and that's a really bad idea.

Mil/mil is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. Having your turrets and reticle in the same unit of measure makes zeroing and adjustments simple and math free.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Like was said, doesn't make a difference if you use MOA/MOA or mil/mil. Use whichever system makes sense to you. Nowadays, my students are fairly evenly divided between the 2 systems.

I do cover the 2 systems in detail, along with the pros and cons of each, in my class on April 1 at TruPrep in Marietta. See the link that Radar363 posted just above.

I like MOA. It's just cleaner and simpler to me. I still think in inches.

It being cleaner depends if you have OCD or not and how you like your measurements.

Non-OCD: 1MOA = 1" @ 100 yards
OCD: 1MOA = 1.047" @ 100 yards

1/10th mil = 1cm (.9999) @ 100m....pretty freaking clean
;)

I actually have a mix of scopes in both and it depends on what I am doing with it. I think those of us that grew up on imperial systems can process MOA quicker. Basically, if I plan on dialing a ton of dope, I prefer MIL. If I care about gnats ass accuracy like a bench gun, I prefer the finer adjustment of MOA. If the scope has some type of BDC reticle for holdovers and I will never touch the dope unless zeroing, then it doesn't really matter what the values are. Like it has been said several times here, just make sure the turrets match the reticle.

It being cleaner depends if you have OCD or not and how you like your measurements.

Non-OCD: 1MOA = 1" @ 100 yards
OCD: 1MOA = 1.047" @ 100 yards

1/10th mil = 1cm (.9999) @ 100m....pretty freaking clean
;)

I actually have a mix of scopes in both and it depends on what I am doing with it. I think those of us that grew up on imperial systems can process MOA quicker. Basically, if I plan on dialing a ton of dope, I prefer MIL. If I care about gnats ass accuracy like a bench gun, I prefer the finer adjustment of MOA. If the scope has some type of BDC reticle for holdovers and I will never touch the dope unless zeroing, then it doesn't really matter what the values are. Like it has been said several times here, just make sure the turrets match the reticle.
I have OCD, but not that bad. .047 inches at 100 yards equals only 4.7 inches at 10,000 (Ten Thousand!) yards.

Back
Top Bottom