• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Morons and EMS vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was an EMT in the Navy in the 80's.
As I remember, there are speed/distance limitations to hearing sirens on the road
(maybe the current guys can elaborate).
Running code 3 (if they still call it that) can have an effect on the ambulance driver too.(Make them do strange stuff).
A lot of people freak out when they notice an ambulance behind them. You can't judge what they are going to do.
Not as bad as it used to be, but people play their music too loud to hear the siren.
Some drivers are just axx-xxxxx and won't get out of your way.

Ambulance trivia
I knew a guy who messed up the lights/siren on an ambulance going through a fast food drive thru.
I knew a guy who got busted for running code three to get back to the hospital to watch a show on TV.
I knew a guy who rolled an ambulance going too fast in a curve.

People don't give a shart about the ambulance because they know that 99.9% of the time the call is pure BS. We as an industry make ourselves feel better about what we do by denigrating everyone that doesn't bend to our wishes. The truth is, we endanger more peoples lives, including our own, running lights and sirens than we save by doing so.

Before someone argues about this one time that getting there 30 seconds faster made the difference, look at the data. Despite all our whizbang gadgets, electronics, drugs, giant ambulances capable of traveling 100 mph, and enough lights and sirens that the folks on the space station know when we get a call, we save no more people as a percentage today than we did 50 years ago.

Last edited:
It also ticks me off when people don't get over for public safety vehicles on the side of the highway responding to an incident...I lost a buddy of mine who was on the HERO unit...

People don't give a shart about the ambulance because they know that 99.9% of the time the call is pure BS. We as an industry make ourselves feel better about what we do by denigrating everyone that doesn't bend to our wishes. The truth is, we endanger more peoples lives, including our own, running lights and sirens than we save by doing so.

Before someone argues about this one time that getting there 30 seconds faster made the difference, look at the data. Despite all our whizbang gadgets, electronics, drugs, giant ambulances capable of traveling 100 mph, and enough lights and sirens that the folks on the space station know when we get a call, we save no more people as a percentage today than we did 50 years ago.

Boom...This^, I wish they would have some sort of pub ed to explain who we are and what we do. Or why where here and what we offer. Im sick of explaining why we dont run on emergency scenes. Yeah, yeah i know cpr is in progress. Me running with all my gear will not bring grandpa back. It will however "look good"... If the taxpayers only knew that 99.9 % of the time we are either a elaborate "show" or a taxi...

The county wants me to put up one of those blue 911 signs at the end of my driveway (which is a half mile long going down in the woods).
I told them that if things went south, I would handle it and they could just have the coroner come out at his leisure.

The county wants me to put up one of those blue 911 signs at the end of my driveway (which is a half mile long going down in the woods).
I told them that if things went south, I would handle it and they could just have the coroner come out at his leisure.

What does that have to do with this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom