• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most reliable 1911 ( Full Size) under or around 1200 Bucks

Had a Springfield that never had a FTF or FTE issue with any ammo that I fed it. Had a Sig Scorpion that would have FTF issues with the factory 8 round mags and was even worse with McCormick power 10 mags. Now looking to get a Sig Tacops threaded barrel

I have had Springer Loaded, Taurus, RIA Tactical, Wilson Combat, Sig Scorpion, Colt Commander, Colt USGI and probarbly a few others that im forgetting about and the one I would call the most reliable is the Sig Scorpion, granted the Wilson Combat is just as reliable but its also in a different price class. The Scorpion has reliably fired everything i have fed it so far including cheap FMJ's and HP's although not sure if I have put any steel case through it yet.

I had a Springfield Range Officer and wilson mags. Never had a problem. I have seen them on here for less than 7 bills. Good value IMHO. Looking for a work horse or a show pony? SandW E series is a lot of show pony. MIM parts. Ditch those, prolly wind up with a good gun. I had one but I compared it to a Custom Colt that I have so, I did not have it long. Find something you like the look and feel of then ask again for opinions.

Over 10-15 rounds down range with my Springfield range officer. Other than the trigger stop screw needing to be backed off a touch when I first got it I've had 0 issues. Replace the recoil spring every 5k rounds for maintenence and put a fiber optic front sight on it, haven't touched it otherwise

Magazines, ammo and lubricant. Three biggest areas of failure I've seen with 1911' s. And I've seen thousands of them up close and personal

My EDC Colt NRM 1991 has been flawless since new, several thousand rounds, mostly FMJ but others as well.

I have or had 2 Ruger SR1911s and 2 Kimbers in recent years that ran perfectly also, albeit, none had as many rounds thru them as the Colt. I especially like my TLE II.

The Scorpion has reliably fired everything i have fed it so far including cheap FMJ's and HP's although not sure if I have put any steel case through it yet.[/QUOTE] My buddy never had a problem with his, but even using his mags in my Scorpion would have issues, must have been a feedramp issue

My vote is for the Dan Wesson Heritage. You're at the price point for a brand new one, they have a few details that set them above the rest---front night sight, forged frame, stainless steel with polished flats (which I prefer), flat topped slide---serrated also IIRC. I think you can actually get them a little under $1200. I paid $1050 for the one I had and I kinda wish I still had it. The Colt Gold Cup Trophy is the same price range but has a cast frame IIRC...which was a big reason I bought the DW.

Edit: The DW also has all tool steel parts, no MIM. Series 70.

I have owned lots of 1911's from 1913 (still have it) to modern made copies.
My Ruger SR 1911 has been the most reliable pistol in the 1911 made pistols I own.
The only other one that has eaten all rounds I have put through it has been a Remington Rand 1944 pistol.
I have had several colts and Kimbers and these will be reliable as long as I stay away from hand loads.
YMMV.
I will still carry a colt as the only time it has had a failure was when I put reloads in it.
But my Ruger has been reliable no matter what I have put through it.
My .02 worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom