• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

Hold my beer....

At least it was not as bad as mine last July

And if anyone ever wondered what a life flight costs from Ellijay to Kennesaw it was: $66,700!!!
EMS ordered the lifeflight BEFORE they got to my house so I had no choice

Think they ended up settling with Medicare and my other insurance for around 8K. 2 hours in Kennestone hospital was a mere 18K....so trust me, you dodged a bullet (pun intended).

Ive been shooting 45+ years and Ive always practiced "assume its loaded" but I had a close call at the range last year. I was shooting a new revolver for the first time. I loaded it,closed the wheel,pulled back on the hammer and BANG. Shot the damn floor about half way down the range. Humbled and embarassed myself even though no one seen me unless they had me on security but Im thankful I had it pointed down range but still shows you anything can happen.

That *was* a hollow point - full home defense round. Maybe I misread your post. I might leave the round in the desk as a reminder. I'm just glad the weapon was pointed down. My son was in the garage protected by 2 layers of sheetrock.

As I said above, a serious training class is already scheduled.
As much as it pains me to admit this, I have been shooting for about 35 years when I had my first ND and my 2nd one about 2 weeks later. Stupid ****. I got careless. I own it.

But my 38spl went through 3 walls---6 sheets of sheetrock--in and out of the undersink cabinet and blew apart the back of a solid wood dining chair. Any doubt I had about 38spl not being sufficient for SD...well I don't worry about that anymore.

My other ND was when I was handling an AK and I was already in an aggravated and pissy mood. Which is what I think got me off focus of being safe. So I don't handle firearms when I'm already distracted anymore.

I remember every single detail of pulling the trigger on the AK...everything in super slow motion. Half the bullet went through the wall into my dresser and ripped apart my stack of blue jean shorts. The other half traveled down the wall, came out through the chair rail molding and left a thumb-sized dent in the back of my upright freezer. Knocked a bunch of popcorn loose from the ceiling as well.

I never found either bullet even when we moved out, I think that's kind of wierd.

OP... a little confused here.

It sounds like you were keeping (what you thought) was an empty gun in your desk and all the ammo for it upstairs.

What's the point of that?

In the first post you specifically say that having the gun upstairs wasn't much use since you worked downstairs. But a gun without ammo is simply a hammer.

You would be far better off keeping the gun loaded and locked up in a case or vault upstairs, and just having some pepper spray or a Taser downstairs. At least that would be useful if you needed it, and might give you time to get upstairs to your gun.

That *was* a hollow point - full home defense round. Maybe I misread your post. I might leave the round in the desk as a reminder. I'm just glad the weapon was pointed down. My son was in the garage protected by 2 layers of sheetrock.

As I said above, a serious training class is already scheduled.
A couple of things here... a 40 (or any pistol ammo) will go through sheetrock like paper. Watch the videos posted above.

That being said...

It sounds like you pointing the gun in a safe direction even when 'unloaded', which is why the 4 Rules of Gun Safety are so effective. You have to break at least three to have a tragedy.

In your case you violated two, the 'treat all guns as if they are loaded' and 'keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target' rules, so instead of a tragedy you got a scare and a chewing out from the wife. Had a work buddy who did exactly the same thing and shot his oven. Wife was not pleased...

On how you missed the round in the chamber... It's possible the extractor on your gun is weak or busted, and racking the slide didn't actually do anything to eject the live round. Get some 'snap caps' from Amazon and cycle them through the gun to check that.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Massad Ayoob, but he's a world famous firearms trainer. He had an ND a few years back and describes what happened in this article:

You mentioned this was self defense ammo, so I'm thinking it may have been a nickel-plated cartridge case like his was. If so, it's easy to see how you might have missed it with a visual inspection like he (and several others) did.

Glad to hear you are getting training though. It's something literally every gun owner should do, even if you 'grew up with guns'.

I'll fess up. At an indoor range with a semiauto handgun, I have no idea what I was thinking but I put one almost vertical in a ceiling. After looking up there, I noticed I wasn't the only one, but it scared the crap out of me and I didn't want to shoot anymore that day. Actually, I think I do know what I did wrong-had my finger inside the guard way too early.

About 2001/2002 I went to a gun show on my way out of town to work, ended up buying a Walther .22 with a de-cocker. I had never owned weapon with a de-cocker and began fiddling with it in the hotel room, long story short...I ND'd a round through the mattress, flashburned a hole through the highly synthetic comforter, and put a hole in the carpet where it came out of the mattress. Thankfully we were on the bottom floor, it was early in the afternoon with few guests, and it was a low rent motel. All blankets were wadded up and left laid across the bed when we checked out. Never heard anything from the motel, hell, as bad as the area was, bullet holes may have just been normal! Scared the hell out of me and made me hyper-vigilant about handling a weapon, I think about it every time I holster a weapon, it happens a lot quicker than you may think!

Yep. Hole in my garage wall that I quickly covered. Wife still has no idea. Scared the poo out of me for damn sure.

Back
Top Bottom