• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcycle riders of ga! Do you put your bikes up for winter or ride on through?

grimreaper

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
42   0
Reaction score
If you do store your bikes whats the process you use and what would you recommend for someone with no garage. if you ride during the winter whats the regular gear you use and what do you do about the freezing cold wind on your neck? all answers apreciated.

I don't do any of this for Georgia winters. But if you're wanting to store yours:

Clean it up.
Change the oil and filter. Check and lube everything.
Add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank, and let it run to get it into the lines and carb/injectors.
You can drain carb bowls, but no need to with Sta-Bil added.
Hook-up a Battery Tender.
Plug the exhaust and intake to keep mice out if it's outside.
Throw a motorcycle cover over it and tie-off the bottom.
Move it occasionally to keep the tire position changed, or use stands.
You could do like a buddy of mine. He keeps his in the dining room all the time.

or

Get a balaclava to keep your face and neck warm and ride all year.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/freeze-out-balaclava

I ride through the fall/winter. Just not as much. Leather jacket, leather gloves, full helmet and double up on pants if needed. Ive got one of those head/neck cover thingys. Cant think of the name. Hardest part is keeping your hands warm if you dont have electric heat.

Baclava is the name. Man I could not come up with that for some reason.
Thought that was an Italian pastry. Lol. If you are storing your bike always make sure you treat your gas tank. Apparently ethanol, especially in a partially empty tank will cause the steel to rust. I spent around $400 having fuel injectors cleaned, in-tank fuel pump replaced and tank acid cleaned, due to rust scale caused by ethanol.

It really doesn't STAY too cold for so long at a time to "winterize" a bike in Georgia. Or at least I don't think so. There are usually a few days each month to get at least a few hours of riding in. YMMV. :D

I ride year round. Leather jacket, leather gauntlet gloves, long johns, blue jeans, leather chaps, baclava.

Edited to add: Wool socks and same leather engineer boots I wear all the time.

My rules are exactly the same. sunny out and over 50. I have no problem staying warm with my usual gear. but the neck wrmer i have is way too thin. i was thinking of riding with my shemagh but im scared it might come off with a hard wind. i might need some new gloves too. theyre thick leather but can get cold with the wind.

Back
Top Bottom