• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcycle riders of ga! Do you put your bikes up for winter or ride on through?

I ride all year long..no matter the temperature..chaps, jeans, under armor, insulated socks light gloves and then insulated gloves, leather jacket ,sweat shirt, under armor, baclava for your head neck, full face helmet good down to around 30 deg depending on your level of weatherability..the more you do it the more comfortable you become or get used to it....preparation..bath in a cold stream for 15 minutes or until blue LOL! seriously

I ride when I can. On the street I typically don't go out much when it gets colder than 35F. Not because it's cold but because around ATL there's always water mains broken, standing water, etc. Nothing works on ice. Well not much. I've ridden when it was colder out (probably as low as 20 degrees) but I use a heated jacket and gloves. Game changer. Feels like you are sitting in your car with the sun shining on you. The biggest things you can do for riding in cold weather is protect your neck area. Get a good windproof balaclava or neck gator. Look at ski shops or outdoor shops for a good one. Then take care of your hands and feet. Stay hydrated if it's an all day ride, you won't be thirsty but if you don't drink you will get cold. Take an aspirin in the morning to keep the blood a bit thinner and give you better circulation to your extremities. Lots of tricks from spending a lot of time outdoors in cold weather.

Off road or dual sport, anything is fair game. I used to find riding off road around 45-50 degrees was just right, as that's a good temp for riding hard and staying cool while not having to wear a bunch of layers, or sweat when riding hard.

Can't wait for the next ice storm actually... I"m riding in Suches next weekend, hoping for the best, if anyone wants to join us... :)

BTW if anyone is looking for some gear, I just posted a bunch of jackets and gear in the for sale section. Would love to see it go to an ODT'er.

I24j1zDOGU5JmN69QFZcufw_OYIEGvjTn3qetCeRwlE1Jg5y32LvneBXkd7ziVDeS6BnOqDo0FI_D7QNDMuhzAJmLxvpRyPaeIpOzIpHtnoqC1sFStYizO7tuOKqTdrXArjCF4cs8WcZYulEqhWwWmL3rVc6QVsOAKWqKX3jmF8NQuowR_kESNTSCDi7LPk1TRUrEDeEaYsW8SBmhgq6YblBHWLjz5to9Othe1d8I4AtId-yNSEwuOgYwO0zGHKz7Q_Q3I-6JI3oUTlrE1O4_4jPwqP99UKM_9hOg0W0RdPd0kBcxiT_cygRTUlvrGJ7O80GvUnHx2BjBC_3MUAE66KExbSAtTZVytexf6MUy2e7RBaljSQchU1x4FtjFC9dgmt2gc8uJ7FD7Q3RmpDxdKz9MFiB28QQiEGR7cFVwsTfEzcPYOCBLDa8c1zy8I95RWBUCTbqPtcI2qdix7jZKSChVGGN53-Puzr_eyNH61sGMHtUsG8NW9ECwZAD4NLyvXiKvrKoFxqQGndrU849Wcs4pa0fSuZP7SEKD9JMXJAo0uDAccRqqjbd8SFxztKy-Ka6WVs17mRSL3K6VjekwMnA-wNay0zHeuYwK0iAUa-AV7sOGWUWejHp9FPJMBjXu-aAHKWI5BLjFtYLFT5xdLJjn9cW1JJykdMZzvRwqg=w1477-h1108-no

IMG_8046.JPG
Nice ride! Looks like cold is coming tonight - weekend. Trying to get some guys together for a cold ride towards Suches also ... I'll look for that KTM orange machine! My Vrod keeps the legs warm!

I ride all year. I have found that the most vital areas to keep warm are feet ,hands, neck chest. I do not have heated gear so I double line my glove with the base layer being those cheap 1.00 cloth gloves you get at qt. I wear wool socks for my feet and a balaclava that has a chest cover attached. The chest cover is amazing. Once your chest gets cold you are done. I usually am leathered ,and layered, up everywhere else.

We ride. There were a few times in my life where I only owned a motorcycle and had to. Still enjoy the winter-lite days, beats the heat! Heated gloves and a heated vest make all the difference in the world.

Reminds me of when i used to ride all year....getting a little old for that, wimping out i guess-lol.

That cold is hell on the arthritis and whatnot.... But at one time i rode rain(if i needed to go) , summer, winter, sun/heat....it didnt matter.

I havent heard of the 'baclava' ....we used 'Apple Warmer' neck wrap, Hondaline gloves were great too.

SpeedyR SpeedyR : thats a nice dual sport KTM...thats a 950cc?
Looks like what i am looking for....how do you like it?
yes it's a 950 Super Enduro. it's basically a stripped down Adventure. they only made them for a couple of years so they are a bit hard to find but they are out there. A few friends have ridden mine and bought them so now we have a little "super enduro club" lol. they are addictive. it's really just a big dirt bike. emphasis on big. about 450lbs and 100 hp keeps it fun. I ride a lot on trails and have raced a few hare scrambles with it, but it's the perfect DS bike IMHO if you like to ride a bit more aggressively. I sold my tagged 450XC recently as I just wasn't riding it that much (and bought a new street bike) as the 950 is just fun to ride. It's tall, but fun. PM me if you have any questions, I could go on and on about it. :) They only made them in 2007-2009 but if you are serious about one, let me know as I hear about them before they go on the market in some cases. I doubt if I'll ever sell it, they don't make anything like it any more and doubt they will.

I will be in suches next friday night thru sunday morning. We have a few of the rooms at TWoS booked and will be riding around the area. If you see a bunch of hooligans on dirt/dual sport bikes (mostly orange but a few others mixed in) give a salute!

I ride year round since moving to GA. Yeah, there are days here and there where it is too cold to ride for me, but overall you can ride 12 months a year down here...

About the coldest I have ever been was at a track day at Road Atlanta the first weekend of April... Got down to freezing at night, and the first session at 8am it was 39 degrees...

I got 4 laps in and had to come off the track. The wind chill factor at 160+ MPH was frightening... I had extra layers under my suit, a polar fleece over my suit and snowmobile gloves on(gloves, not mittens) and I still couldn't take it... Had to sit out a couple sessions till it got up into the 50's... It was brutal...

Back
Top Bottom