• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MREs sure got better!

In Nam in 67/68 with the 173rd Airborne Bge. in the bush in Central Highlands we had C-rats dated from WWII and Korean War era. We didn't get the new ones until I was about ready to leave in 68. LRRP's had dry rations that were pretty good, IF you had the time to make one up. We always tried to trade some (Beef Steak) with ARVN's when we had a chance, which wasn't very often. Hated working with them, cowards. Gave lots away to the kids of the montnards (mountainyards) when we were near a village, loved fighting with them, very brave and loyal.

In Nam in 67/68 with the 173rd Airborne Bge. in the bush in Central Highlands we had C-rats dated from WWII and Korean War era. We didn't get the new ones until I was about ready to leave in 68. LRRP's had dry rations that were pretty good, IF you had the time to make one up. We always tried to trade some (Beef Steak) with ARVN's when we had a chance, which wasn't very often. Hated working with them, cowards. Gave lots away to the kids of the montnards (mountainyards) when we were near a village, loved fighting with them, very brave and loyal.
We traded for dry rice.

Went in the Army in March of 81....holy crap, that can't be 38 years ago...
I always liked the peanut butter spread on a John Wayne bar. The peaches were good for constipation.

good info

i got bored and looked up the mountain folk you mentioned. interesting ****

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degar

There must have been input form Beavis & Butthead for the cooking instructions.
MRE.jpg

My dad was in the National Guard for 31 years and went every year to Fort Stewart for "summer camp" for two weeks. He always brought home several boxes of the "c" rations and I always loved them! My favorite items were the Chiclet chewing gum and the chocolate candy in the cans! Anybody remember the canned turkey and pork loaf? I loved that stuff too! Always had the Marlboro cigs in them too.........

Back
Top Bottom