• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MREs sure got better!

A couple years ago, I thought it might be funny to give out MREs to the kids in my family as a joke for Christmas. The kids were actually really excited about them and surprisingly said most of them were pretty good. I absolutely hated every one of those things when I was in and would still rather starve than eat another one.

In the 80"s drawing a "dehydrated pork patties" and trying to trade that was like trying to trade a Hi Point for a Les Baer.

We were still eating them in '83. I kind of liked the ham and lima beans. I don't think there was an entree that I didn't like in C-rats. Can't remember if there was. I remember I would not trade spaghetti and meatballs for any reason. That was good.

Ah, I remember now. Chopped ham & eggs, kiss of death on the trade market. No way could you trade that without the other item being 'heavily in your favor'. LOL!

I went to basic in the summer of 1983. We started with C's, and yes, unfortunately, a few still had Lucky Strike or Camels, or some other brand of non-filtered cigs in them (the Drill Sgts kinda freaked out). Spaghetti was THE BOMB, especially if you could heat the can even a little bit.

We also got some of the "new for '83" MREs. The dehydrated pork and beef patties would stop you up unless you soaked them in water. They were edible with the dehydrated ketchup.

The absolute worse MRE for years was "Omelette with Ham". I mean it was soooooo bad that quartermasters would allow you to swap some out if you ended up with several. Or if you got two in a row even the G4 would take pity on you.

T-Rats came out when I was in Germany. The mess didn't understand them, they thought every tin was a complete dinner. So one night they found my platoon, the mess sgt was so proud, and gave us a heated up tin. It was supposed to be some chicken and rice, with green beans, rolls and chocolate pudding. Instead it was a four pound tin of chocolate pudding. We ate most of it. It was hot.

The newer MREs are "better", but don't last as long as the dehydrated ones did, at least to me.

My son went into the USAF. Smart man.

ps, I still have my USGI P-38 from 1983. Still use it, still works.

I really tried to eat the dehydrated pork patty. I mean I really tried. I weighed 185 lbs and stand 6'3", ran 5 miles every day. I needed the calories, Bragg was hot as Hades that summer. We were walking around with boots unbloused, shirts open and outside of the waist of the pants. White tape was in short supply due to "heat casualties" using it on their steel pots.

I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I never had to go to the sand box. But those dehydrated meals were cruel to me. As an 02 at Ft. Sill, I didn't mind paying for the Meals, Refuse to Eat because they were much improved over the '83 issued type.

big bald guy at the gun shows has been selling them for 35 a case..
taco one is pretty good. forgot lunch last week and ate one. mixed fruit was great..
i also rotate them out of my BOB every few years and wind up eating them for a few days..
looking at picking up a few hundred bucks worth if he is at the Marietta show this weekend....
Anytime you see this guy, please PM me.

pm me your number and i will call you. we can hook up and i can talk a better deal.
hoping he will be at the show this weekend. who knows, maybe even get him down to 30 or 25 a case...

The dehydrated fruit square was nice.

I liked the crackers crushed with the drink powder just covered with water.

Back
Top Bottom