• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Final gift to my Son

I purchased some Japanese Cedar from an ODT'er on here, that has a saw mill near Carterville. My intent was to have a presentation box made for my WWI Colt Military issue 1911 45. This box I wanted to be special and different to house this beautiful weapon used to defend Freedom. It took two years to complete from the purchase of the wood to the finished product. I wanted to do something special to leave my son as a token of my love and pride for him..This he does not know about and will not until I am gone..It will be left in the big safe for him to find when I am gone..Their will also be a letter from me to him...I just wanted to do something many don't think of but, meant a lotView attachment 1861264
View attachment 1861265 to me..DD
I don't know why the plaque shows scratches, I don't see any..View attachment 1861269
Awesome.

Dinky,
I get it, I really do, but...
As a son who misses his father daily, I simply offer these observations: Almost every gun I have was from my father. Some were given directly to me and some were inherited. While they are all priceless to me (including the same era 1911), the ones he gave me himself have extra value as they carry the added memory of the exchange, which I cherish as much or more than the inanimate object.
As you know, tomorrow, on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour, bells around the globe will toll to mark the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Armistice and the ending of WW1. A victory that very arm helped secure. It is of course also Veterans Day.
2 obviously very relevant observances for THIS son of a great and dearly missed father (and WWII vet), to simply ask you to at least consider not denying him the chance to thank you in THIS life. The added GIFT, of the memory of the exchange will genuinely be priceless. I know first hand.
May God continue to bless your relationship with your son!
I agree with GeauxLSU here. It would make a hell of a Christmas present.

I agree with GeauxLSU here. It would make a hell of a Christmas present.
I've done something similar but not quite as wonderful. It started when a college friend of mine had a son and I went to a fancy wine store and got to bottle of wine that will age well and put a savings bond with it and wrapped it in brown paper and wrote on the outside not to be opened until his 21st birthday. In the time since then, I got married my wife had two sons in their teens they've grown and since become married and I've had children so for my grandkids I built boxes that were large enough to hold a newspaper so I got the newspaper from the day they were born and with it I put different trinkets that were important to them their first crayon pictures birthday cards pictures things like that I left a slot in the top to add things and carved on the front of them the date they can open them 21 years. I don't think I'll be around when they're opened but there's a lot of neat stuff in there good job on your pistol case

I've done something similar but not quite as wonderful. It started when a college friend of mine had a son and I went to a fancy wine store and got to bottle of wine that will age well and put a savings bond with it and wrapped it in brown paper and wrote on the outside not to be opened until his 21st birthday. In the time since then, I got married my wife had two sons in their teens they've grown and since become married and I've had children so for my grandkids I built boxes that were large enough to hold a newspaper so I got the newspaper from the day they were born and with it I put different trinkets that were important to them their first crayon pictures birthday cards pictures things like that I left a slot in the top to add things and carved on the front of them the date they can open them 21 years. I don't think I'll be around when they're opened but there's a lot of neat stuff in there good job on your pistol case
0506181454.jpg

DinkyDau DinkyDau , I just wanted to add, that yesterday when you posted this heart touching post was my father's birthday. He died in '96 and I sure do miss him.
I feel your pain Friend!! I was married for almost 9 years before, my bride and I were blessed to have a successful pregnancy. She had 5 failed early losses during her pregnancy's, due to endometriosis in which DnC's had to be preformed..We got lucky and I made a promise to my son in delivery, I would spend as much quality time I could with him..It's like dad new at the end and he regretted it. I wish we would have had more time..

I feel your pain Friend!! I was married for almost 9 years before, my bride and I were blessed to have a successful pregnancy. She had 5 failed early losses during her pregnancy's, due to endometriosis in which DnC's had to be preformed..We got lucky and I made a promise to my son in delivery, I would spend as much quality time I could with him..It's like dad new at the end and he regretted it. I wish we would have had more time..
Phil, what's going on brother?

Just taking care of business Brother, Don't want to be caught with my pants down...Thanks for asking.
Right on, I worry about you brother. You are a good man and I/we don't want to lose you. You tough old bird you stick around as long as you can. I love you man.

Back
Top Bottom