• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My idiot moment for the month . . . I hope . . .

Spiderman11

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
109   0
Reaction score
So I'm in the back yard shooting my 10.5 AR (pistol currently). I've got about a 45 yard "range" so I removed one ear plug while I walked around, got more ammo, and changed targets. Reload, ready to shoot, bang . . .really really really big bang . . . ouch, forgot the ear plug.

Now I've been shooting for quite a few years and in those years I've on occasion fired a 16" and a 20" AR without hearing protection (I know, not the smartest thing). Very loud, not hearing safe by any means, a little ringing in the ears but not what I would consider pain. Shooting one round out of the 10.5" barrel with only one ear plug . . . produced actual pain.

Here's when I started thinking (finally). I prop this up beside my nightstand as my go to weapon for things that go bump in the night . . . not any more. If one round created that much pain in my one unplugged ear, I couldn't imagine firing multiple rounds indoors. I've got a suppressor in the holding pattern and I'm sure after I get that put on it'll be just fine . . .until then I guess it's going to be a 9mm.

Semi serious question. I know some of you have 10.5 or shorter SBR's/pistols that you routinely carry with you in backpacks or whatever. I know when it comes to a life or death situation we'll all do what we have to do, but have you considered the blast and disability you'll be giving to yourself should you ever have to use it. Even if the disability is short term, now you're in a firefight and can hear absolutely nothing . . . except ringing of course. I had never thought about it quite like that until my idiot moment . . .because I had never fired a weapon without hearing protection that produced that much noise, pressure, and pain. (<Or maybe I'm just too sensitive . . haha). Anyway, it's no longer beside the bed . . . until the can gets approved.

Yeah, but after the 3rd or 4th round you aren't going to hear a thing so its all good. Hollywood got suppressors associated with assassins and other bad guys, plus the Gub'ment found a way to tax it so... yeah.

My Dad and I used to go shooting when I was a kid in the 60's and we never used hearing protection back then. Practically nobody did in those days that I can remember, but I wish I had now. I've had a permanent ringing in my ears most of my life because of it and it can be pretty annoying when I'm trying to go to sleep. A .357 mag with a 2 1/2" barrel is pretty damn loud but a .223/5.56 is even louder, I never shoot without protecting what's left of my hearing now.

My Dad and I used to go shooting when I was a kid in the 60's and we never used hearing protection back then. Practically nobody did in those days that I can remember, but I wish I had now. I've had a permanent ringing in my ears most of my life because of it and it can be pretty annoying when I'm trying to go to sleep. A .357 mag with a 2 1/2" barrel is pretty damn loud but a .223/5.56 is even louder, I never shoot without protecting what's left of my hearing now.

Same here. I didn't start using hearing protection while shooting until i got a case of vertigo about 10 years ago. I have had a constant ringing in my ears for about 25 years. Sounds like a bunch of crickets chirping or a bunch of tree frogs on a warm summer night.

Same here. I didn't start using hearing protection while shooting until i got a case of vertigo about 10 years ago. I have had a constant ringing in my ears for about 25 years. Sounds like a bunch of crickets chirping or a bunch of tree frogs on a warm summer night.
Tinnitus. I have to use a fan at night or I won't sleep because the ringing is so loud

I recall shooting as a kid , no ear plugs maybe tissue wadded up maybe.
Perhaps one of the reasons I say "what" often.
I do recall deer hunting killing lots of deer never noticed the 3006 noise.

I double up now.

Back
Top Bottom