• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NC wants my revolver - stolen in 1982

Shouldn't the pawn shop be responsible for refunding your money? They did sell stolen property after all. GA law is pretty specific about selling stolen property and "I didn't know" is't an excuse especially for a business.

Georgia Law on Theft by Receiving Stolen Property
O.C.G.A. §16-8-7(a) states a person commits the offense of theft by receiving stolen property when he receives, disposes of, or retains stolen property which knows or should know (they are required to report the serial number just for that purpose) was stolen unless the property is received, disposed of, or retained with intent to restore it to the owner. Receiving means, acquiring possession or control or lending on the security of the property.

You can't blame the pawn shop. They obviously turned the numbers in and did their part. The pawn shop has to wait 14 days after turning the numbers in before they can sell. That doesn't mean the police check the numbers within that 14 days or even ever.

Might check with them and see if they'll refund you since it was fairly recent.

So the pawn shop never did a stolen gun check? I kinda thought that was required.
They're only required to turn the numbers in to the police and wait 14days (I think it's 14) that doesn't mean the police run the numbers in those 14 days or ever.

Things like this wouldn't happen of FFL's were allowed access to the stolen gun database.

Be sure to get a property form when they pick up the smith. If you take that to the pawn shop they can refund your money and technically go after the person that brought it to them. When I was running a shop in Albany that was usually the way we handled these situations. Although since it was stolen in 1982 I doubt they go after the person that brought it in.

They're only required to turn the numbers in to the police and wait 14days (I think it's 14) that doesn't mean the police run the numbers in those 14 days or ever.

Things like this wouldn't happen of FFL's were allowed access to the stolen gun database.

The database they use is a for Profit service. Its not a governmental entity

Back
Top Bottom