• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need advice on received condition on new gun

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
I purchased a Henry Big Boy, brass, 20 inch barrel, in 45 LC, for my husband. The brass is on the receiver, and there is also a brass band and a brass buttplate. When I picked up the gun, the storage room must have been really cold, because the brass was cloudy, freezing cold, and wouldn't wipe clean and shiny. I took it home, and when it warmed up, I was able to polish the brass receiver, and I found 3 different scratches on the brass, plus the brass looks pitted (only slightly, only when you turn it sort of sideways). The scratches are really small, only covering about 1/8 inch squared or smaller. (basically 3 scratchy places about the size of a small nail head.)

Is that normal for a gun that is supposed to be "new"? Is the pitting (very slight), normal? Am I being too picky about this? Please keep in mind, I don't know much about this particular gun, or about the dressy brass in general. I want it to be perfect for him, and I'm worried that I should have declined the gun at the store due to the pitting and scratches.

You accepted it. Call Henry and see what they say. Those receivers show every defect and if it ever gets used some more will get added.

Ten years ago, my wife gave me a brass Henry for Christmas. When I removed the velvet from the receiver I noticed a scratch about 1/4" on the right side near the upper rear. Never worried about it. Took it hunting and cherish that rifle every time I take it out. Will never be sold by me. It's the rifle my wife gave me.

Thank you all so much. He got home from our property in TN, and he couldn't wait to see it. He was in the navy, so he says he polished enough brass to make a career out of it. He said the things I pointed out were very minor. He even wants to hang it on the wall in our home when he's not hunting with it. He loves it.

I really appreciate all of your comments. You are a great group!

Back
Top Bottom